It's pretty clear the the god of the bible appears to be two completely different deities in the two testaments, and liberal Christians seem to discount the OT version in favour the the "God of Love" version found in the New. But how did the NT god manage to get such an unwarranted reputation as he's quite insane too.
Frankly, in my opinion the NT Yahweh is far more insane and dangerous than the OT version. Yes, the OT god was very murderous, including the wholesale slaughter of children to punish and/or test their parents, but he would leave it at that. Not like the NT deity who figures it's just punishment to torture people forever because he didn't like the way they think. It's no contest!

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fact is, the OT is still recognized by a number of believers, especially hardcore fundamentalists, as evidenced by the "No Greater Joy" organization, which endorses corporal punishment, extreme in some cases.

Evidence of this may be found easily with Google or in any newspaper. Item:

Lydia Schatz 'Whipped' to Death on Feb. 6, 2010
I'm going with the old. Sacrifices, wars, genocide, talking snakes. Yeah, hands down, its the most mental. The new testament is just an ancient version of Barney. I love you, you love me.... lets have some fish and wine.
Yeah, but Barney doesn't then spend eternity mauling the children...

I think.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
6 minutes ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
9 minutes ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
18 minutes ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
2 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
2 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
3 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
3 hours ago
booklover replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
3 hours ago
booklover replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Triclosan grows breast cancer in the group Cancer
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service