Which quotations from great leaders and writers might you best like to see displayed at advertising locations for the education and benefit of the world?

Which quotations from great leaders and writers might you best like to see displayed at advertising locations and in trains and buses, for the education and benefit of the world?

Among the first that come to mind as most helpful in supporting the anti-theist cause are the truths uttered or written by America’s founding fathers and other great people whose names are well-known to everyone including bible-thumping fundamentalists. Every country, every language will have its favorites.

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries.”  James Madison 1803

“Millions of fables, tales and legends have been blended with Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed.”  John Adams

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect.”  James Madison

“Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society.” George Washington.

“I have recently been examining all of the known superstitions of the world and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies.” Thomas Jefferson. 1743-1826

“Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.”  Abraham Lincoln

“Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear”.  Thomas Jefferson

“…Freedom arises from the multiplicity of sects, which pervades America and which is the best and only security for religious liberty in any society. For where there is such a variety of sects, there cannot be a majority of any one sect to oppress and persecute the rest.” James Madison. 1778

[spoken at the June 1778 Virginia convention on ratifying the Constitution]

“Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect.” James Madison.   

“During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.” James Madison.

“I belong to no church.” Abraham Lincoln

“The Bible is not my book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.” Abraham Lincoln

“Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.” Thomas Jefferson

“And the day will come, when the [virgin birth] will rank with the fable of the generation [birth] of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”  Thomas Jefferson

“Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”  Abraham Lincoln

“Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it.” John Adams 1816.           [Letter to his son, John Quincy Adams, 1816 November 13].

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?” Mark Twain

Tags: Advertising atheism

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

"One man's religion is another man's belly laugh." Robert A. Heinlein... The Notebooks of Lazarus Long (part of Time Enough for Love)
"As long as every question is answered by the word "God," scientific inquiry is simply impossible."
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "The Gods" (1872)

"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, quoted from the Address, Ingersoll the Magnificent,
"When a truth is not given complete freedom, freedom is not complete." - Vaclav Havel
My favorite quote (just 'lifted' from my AN profile), is by Aldous Huxley.
Taken from his work, The Devils of Loudon:

" The idolatrous transformation, of the relative into the absolute and the all-too-human into the divine, makes it possible for man to indulge his ugliest passion, in the firm belief that he is working for the highest good."

About the trial, torture, breaking, half-hanging, and burning at the stake, of an infamous 17th century French priest, on heresy, sorcery, and witchcraft, surrounding the supposed demon possession of the Ursuline nuns.
I was just talking about his movie by Ken Rusell. I didn't know Huxley wrote it, but it makes sense. Dose it piss you off what happening in Nigeria? And it's 500 years after Father Grandier!.
"Free yourself from mental slavery, non but ourselves can free our Minds" ~ Bob Marley

Bob Marley was a Rastafarian, and therefore a theist, however, the principals that brought rise to the Rasta movement, was due to the racial oppression by religion present in his culture. Even though I cannot agree with the faith base of the Rastafarian movement, it's movement away from commonly held christian ideology is admirable! Even if they are totally deluded in their assumptions about the invisible god man in the sky and should have left god out completely. This quote is something that everyone should contemplate from time to time, and should do so honestly not just about religion, but about all of your ideas and how you got them, and is it honest!! I have had to check myself on occasion!! lol
I saw this quote on www.therainforestsite.com/ this morning. Excellent!

"The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think" — Gregory Bateson
I can't recall the author, or even where I heard it . Maybe someone knows.

"For those who believe no proof is necessary.
For those who don't believe no proof is possible."
“It's a false and dangerous interpretation of the meaning of tolerance and respect that it entails granting validity to a claim with which one disagrees. Respect belongs only to people, and not to religions, political or economic systems, or any other set of ideas." Justin Trottier

... found it in an op-ed this morning.
I always like this Robert Green Ingersoll quote:

"I would not for my life destroy one star of human hope, but I want it so that when a poor woman rocks the cradle and sings a lullaby to the dimpled darling, she will not be compelled to believe that ninety-nine chances in a hundred she is raising kindling wood for hell."
"I respect your right to believe whatever you need to believe, but I do not have to respect what you believe."

La Bruja del Hielo H.O.I. (Ret.) aka moi
This was just emailed to me by Bjo Trimble (if any fans of the ORIGINAL "Trek" remember her...she's still as friendly and busy as ever)

An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it. -- James Albert Michener, novelist (1907- 97)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Enough already - take down the Brother Richard article from the banner
15 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The cost of masculine crime
24 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Joe's discussion The Psychological Benefits of Being a Atheist
26 minutes ago
Pat replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Enough already - take down the Brother Richard article from the banner
29 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Officially Launches; David Silverman Criticizes History Channel for Presenting Bible as History in the group Atheist News
36 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
40 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The cost of masculine crime
48 minutes ago
Richard C Brown joined Blair Scott's group
48 minutes ago
Ceil replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
58 minutes ago
Joe posted a discussion
1 hour ago
Joe added a discussion to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo posted discussions
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service