Which quotations from great leaders and writers might you best like to see displayed at advertising locations for the education and benefit of the world?

Which quotations from great leaders and writers might you best like to see displayed at advertising locations and in trains and buses, for the education and benefit of the world?

Among the first that come to mind as most helpful in supporting the anti-theist cause are the truths uttered or written by America’s founding fathers and other great people whose names are well-known to everyone including bible-thumping fundamentalists. Every country, every language will have its favorites.

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries.”  James Madison 1803

“Millions of fables, tales and legends have been blended with Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed.”  John Adams

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect.”  James Madison

“Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society.” George Washington.

“I have recently been examining all of the known superstitions of the world and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies.” Thomas Jefferson. 1743-1826

“Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.”  Abraham Lincoln

“Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear”.  Thomas Jefferson

“…Freedom arises from the multiplicity of sects, which pervades America and which is the best and only security for religious liberty in any society. For where there is such a variety of sects, there cannot be a majority of any one sect to oppress and persecute the rest.” James Madison. 1778

[spoken at the June 1778 Virginia convention on ratifying the Constitution]

“Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect.” James Madison.   

“During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.” James Madison.

“I belong to no church.” Abraham Lincoln

“The Bible is not my book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.” Abraham Lincoln

“Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.” Thomas Jefferson

“And the day will come, when the [virgin birth] will rank with the fable of the generation [birth] of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”  Thomas Jefferson

“Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”  Abraham Lincoln

“Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it.” John Adams 1816.           [Letter to his son, John Quincy Adams, 1816 November 13].

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?” Mark Twain

Tags: Advertising atheism

Views: 121

Replies to This Discussion

“It was necessary, however in the Holy Scripture, in order to accommodate itself to the understanding of the majority, to say many things which apparently differ from the precise meaning. Nature, on the contrary, is inexorable and unchangeable, and cares not whether her hidden causes and modes of working are intelligible to the human understanding or not and never deviates on that account from the prescribed laws. It appears to me therefore that no effect of nature, which experience places before our eyes or is the necessary conclusion derived from evidence, should be rendered doubtful by passages of the scripture which contain thousands of words admitting of various interpretations, for every sentence of Scripture is not bound by such rigid laws as is every effect of nature.”

Galileo in a long letter to Benedetto Castelli, a former student, dated December 21, 1613.

THE HISTORICAL CONTEXT

In a presentation of the new astronomical discoveries to the grand duke of Tuscany and his entourage, Castelli was pressured to explain the apparent discrepancies between the Copernican cosmology and some biblical accounts, such as the one in which God stopped the sun and the moon in their courses to allow Joshua and the Israelites to complete their victory over the Emorites in the Ayalon Valley.

Even though Castelli reported that he “behaved like a champion” in defending Copernicanism, Galileo was somewhat disturbed by the news of this confrontation, and he felt compelled to express his own views about contradictions between science and the Holy Scriptures.

Galileo and the Roman Catholic Church were on a clear collision course and events started to unfold rapidly toward the end of 1613.

At a time when there are attempts to introduce biblical creationism as an alternative “scientific” theory (under the thinly veiled title of “Intelligent design”) it is good to remember that Galileo Galilee already fought this battle almost four hundred years ago. And won!
It took hundreds of years for the church to admit that Galileo Galilei had won. His accusers lived the rest of their lives content and probably smug thinking that they had won.

We must do better, and overturn the pitiful polemical pleadings of the IDers far more quickly.
You can start by rubbing Dover, PA in their faces ... REPEATEDLY if necessary!
The only reason the church didn't snuff out Galileo was his popularity as a science professor. An equally great thinker and scientist was Giordano Bruno that had no such luck. Bruno not only accepted Coperrnicism but also hypothesized other galaxies as well. Sol was just another star.

This was not what the church wanted to hear. I have a blog post which recites this sad history. To me, the church brought humanity to its most ignominious and depraved nadir.
Too true, Rich, too true.
Bruno had another problem...he was a Franciscan Monk if memory serves.
Here's a beauty emailed to me by A/N member Les Downing. I don't think he's mind my posting it.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. -Marcus Aurelius, philosopher and writer (121-180)

Here's a little poser I've always enjoyed. I read it somewhere and can't authenicate it. But just for fun: what four kings, presidents or heads-of-state are considered to be among humanity's greatest writers?

You might have to meditate on this.
King Floyd, Queen Ida, Prince, and um...
Thanks for the astute answer. I don't know the other two, but I'm trying to picture what writing Prince could do. Songs perhaps.

Suppose it were true. Prince et al are humanity's greatest writers, along with the emporer. The world would probably be better off. (Can't get much worse.)

I'm into classical. What does Prince write about? Did he write Purple Rain, the movie?
LOL...I think you forgot a title of his... ummmm. One would be Marcus Aurelius, guess that's why you left out that title. Caesar would be another Guess. Thomas Jefferson I assume...think that's 3 of them...maybe not
"When I do bad I feel bad, when I do good I feel good - that is my religion."
Abraham Lincoln
Here's one of mine: The terrible harm of religion is that it diverts and perverts the love and respect owed to natural world and wastes it on an imaginary God.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service