Which is a pretty contentious  question, and an odd one to ask as an atheist. My question is: what are the strengths and weaknesses of the different English translations of the Bible?

Readability, enjoyability of that read (poeticness would be a factor if it was a word) and a certain amount of consistency to the source material are all factors. I'm mostly interested in the Old Testament: It's got some pretty cool stories, I celebrate Jewish holidays with my Jewish friends and I want to know what's going on, and it's a little bit about making fun of Christians.

I haven't found any satisfactory answer on the interwebs or on the nexus. There's too much information that I can't adequately filter and, besides, I want you know you lovely peoples opinions.

(Something I've heard: Richard Dawkins likes The King James Version because of the poetic Elizabethan Prose)

Tags: Bible

Views: 739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of them are bad. They have the bible online -- if you really want to read it. It will make you a stronger atheist.

I've never understood how someone could read the bible and then call it "the good book".  It's horrible.  Horrible stories, bad writing, etc.  Why would anyone even WANT it to be true.  Sick.

I agree, KJV is the best version for consistency. Its funny how such a derivative piece of fiction got so many remakes. 

When it comes to consistency to the source material, that's really not true though. The KJV is several centuries old; modern Bible translations have the advantage of centuries of scholarship into Ancient Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.

The KJV is probably the most poetic version, but for the same reason it's also one of the least close to the source material by modern standards.

I really like the full, unedited version of the KJB. I live in a remote area and sometimes run out of TP.

TP.  ROFLMAO

One problem, with any bible, is that many people have the reading comprehension of an 8th grader. Upper level readers, in college, read at a 10th grade education level. This is an obstacle for those who read their bibles, they have no comprehension of what they read. Many gloss over many scriptures that would prove Christianity a false religion, such as the Book of Jeremiah. Others do not read beyond their religious books to understand that the Book of John, introduction, is a plagiarized version of the writings of the pagan Greek philosopher Heraclitus who wrote of The Logos 500 years before the common era. He was writing about creation through the power of Zeus. Christians stole this philosophy and wrote it into the intro to the book of John. Many people read texts at face value without really investigating the origin of their reading materials. So, it really doesn't matter what Bible one uses because most Christians only read the parts that satisfy their own church doctrine and ignore the rest of the bible.

I've read maybe 10% of KJV; only sentences in other versions.

After 12 years of next-worldly Catholicism, Song of Solomon is pleasantly this-worldly.

I found more value in collections of quotations, and works on pragmatism and existentialism.

When I was taking biblical scholarship classes in undergraduate, we used the New Revised Standard version of the bible.  Most scholars consider this version to be the most accurate.  As others have said, while the KJV is more poetic, it is by no means the most accurate translation.  A good rule is that the older the manuscripts used in translation, the better.  (However, this is assuming that the older translations don't have deliberate 'corrections' or changes.)  

I haven't read my copy of the bible in awhile, but I found the translation to be pretty readable and accessible.  HTH!

The Lego Bible...

R. Crumb's The Book of Genesis Illustrated.  Shows, in graphic detail, the absolute assinine ancient  fables that lead to the evil which is present day Abrahamic religions - Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

The Book of Genesis [Book]

Excellent!

I'd forgotten about this...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
13 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
26 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
1 hour ago
Ceil replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
2 hours ago
Čenek Sekavec commented on BIPLAB DAS's photo
2 hours ago
Ceil replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service