It has taken me a long time to find where the good stuff is hidden—books to be kept nearby and reread, music worth listening to, artworks to inspite and thrill, particular foods that are a treat, clothes and products that are really good, places you especially want to revisit, etc.

I wonder what things you all would take with you to a desert island, things that the rest of us may not have learned about yet. Share the wealth.

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The good stuff for me is often found in autobiographies, diaries and history. I'm not really interested in famous people, but in people who think and struggle to reach a goal. This reading project of mine has gone on for more than twenty years and I've enjoyed myself greatly - and learnt some things.

People I met this way and still like very much: Samuel Pepys, Paul Léautaud, Benjamin Franklin, Erasmus and Charles Darwin, Alfred Russell Wallace, Calamity Jane, Taslima Nasrin, Maya Angelou, Redmond OHanlon, and there are so many more. It makes you feel like you've got friends everywhere in time and space.  

Have you read Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians? Strachey was a marvelous writer and his approach to biography is a bit different—he heads straight for the central issues in the person's life rather than providing a chronological account of their doings. His biography of Queen Victoria is about the best biography I've read.

A. C. Grayling has written a biography of the English essayist and artist William Hazlitt that I am about to begin reading. Grayling is a good writer and Hazlitt's struggles with life are worth reading.

Thanks, I'll put them on my To Be Read list!

And I drink lapsang souchong too!

MIND food: Richard Feynman, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss, A. C. Grayling, Hector Avalos, Simone de Beauvoir, Daniel Dennett, John Dewey, Sam Harris, John Stuart Mill, Bertrand Russell, Thomas Piketty, Hector Avalos, Emmanuel Saez, Robert Reich, Jon Lomberg, Ruth Anthony-Gardner, Rebecca Goldstein, Steven Pinker, Thom Hartmann, Paul Hawken, Amory Lovins, Hunter Lovins, Jeffrey D. Sachs, Ha-Joon Chang, Michael Hudson, William Greider, David Sirota. 

BODY food: chocolate, seeds of all kinds for roasting and eating, and for planting, garden tools, comfortable table and chair with footrest, soil tester, pH meters, lotions and potions, sun screen. 

EMOTIONS food: microscope, telescope, binoculars, popcorn popper and popcorn, some writing device, i.e. pencil and paper, pen, ink and paper, or computer, some kind of pot to make coffee or tea. 

Great list Joan!  I would choose many of the same.  Some of your items would have taken me a long time to think of.  I especially like seeds, microscope, telescope, binoculars, and computer.

On my computer I would have e-books by all the best scientists, and a link to the internet if possible.

I would also take a movie projector, screen, and 300 of my favorite DVDs.

Also, a player with 200 of my favorite CDs, including Simon & Garfunkel, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Bette Midler, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Carly Simon, Freddy Fender, and Melanie.

If only one thing of each category was allowed, I would take:

1. Watermelon seed.

2. The Ancestor's Tale (A pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life), a book by Richard Dawkins.

3. Microscope (besides the intended use, it could also start fires).

4. The Simon & Garfield CD with "Save the Life of My Child" on it.

5. Lilo & Stitch DVD.

Simon and Garfield?!?

Somehow I think you're referring to this:

[grin!]

Hahaha.  Somehow I think you're right.

I read the Garfield cartoon every day, so that must be where that typo came from, but Garfield is not worth taking anywhere.  He's just amusing about 5% of the time.

ONE OF THE CATS I RESCUED LOOKS LIKE GARFIELD

WHILE I LOVE YOUR LIST JOAN, BEING A REALIST, I WOULD ALSO TAKE A GUN OR TWO AND THE THINGS I MENTIONED BELOW.

I suppose any prudent person would take a gun. I think I would leave bullets to others and use fire as a protector. Guess I'm not a realist, but is there not another way to deal with snakes, lions, and predatory males? I would take my wits with me and use them to my best ability. You would probably find my bones scattered across the island, eaten and enjoyed by the critters that abound there. If my body is going to atoms anyway, I guess that is about as good as it gets. 

I started making a collection of some of these things using a site called Hubpages which was quite easy to use in order to gather things together and sort them out. http://michaelmurcott.hubpages.com/

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service