This has nothing to do with atheism, or religion, except for the cult-like character of Apple devotees.

I remember when Apple was the iconoclast, an almost countercultural approach to technology.  Apple marketed themselves as the "alternative", and much of the good feeling that people have today about the company, continues from those roots.

Apple itself used that panache in their commercials.

Then, Apple became a near-cult.  Their "not-Microsoft" über-coolness, their stylish still-somewhat countercultural persona, and excellent products, lead to people lining up for each product release like catholics at the visits of the pope.  I know Apple addicts (and live with one) who are all-forgiving, and all-justifying when there is any report of Apple being maybe not-so-cool

Now, with stories of slave-like working conditions in China and profits more than Exxon, and strong-arming customers and other companies with contracts that exploit Apple's dominance and addict them to Apple-ism, Apple has grown up. apple is no more "cool", no more "counter-cultural", no more "alternative" than IBM, Exxon, BP, or Microsoft. 

I admit, I've never bought into the Apple "coolness" thing, and find it kind of annoying, so I'm far from unbiased.  But I think it's time for everyone to regard the company as no different from any other mega-corp that abuses the environment and its workers.

My 2 cents.

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is funny.  I have a feeling the Apple corporation overplayed both the "coolness über-hip" thing and the "we can only employ hungry exploited Chinese workers because Americans are too fat and lazy" thing.  Image means a lot.  Meanwhile, I inherited a refurbished MacBook, which I am trying to learn because my Toshiba laptop is about to bite the dust..... It's awkward, like trying to communicate in Spanish when you speak almost none of the language and the person who you are talking to is a Chinese person who speaks almost no Spanish.  What?  No right-click?  WTF is "Airport?"  Plus the keys are too small for my burly unhip fingers.

Airport is the Wifi

Re: two buttons - I bought one of these for a mouse for my mac, I really like it. (Logitech Trackman)

Otherwise you need to hold the "Ctrl" button while clicking to get the right-click function most of the time.

I normally use a PC, and have a Mac notebook machine.

thanks George!  My annoyance about "airport" happened while I was trying to connect to the WiFi at the Airport.  I kept thinking "how strange".  Then there is the weird "apple" key, 2 of them.  And, copy and paste is apple-C and apple-V, that's intuitive!  Im just bitching, once you figure it out, it's not too difficult.  But it does seem like Apple just wanted to be different, just to be different.

Apple-C and Apple-V is similar to Windows, which is Ctrl-C Ctrl-V

Also Macintosh came before Windows, it was always like that.

I guess I've been too acclimated to the microsoft products.  Not that Im a fan of any mega-corporation, but used to it.  I still miss using my old palm pilot and my windows 95 computer....Im just a grouchy old curmudgeon.

Ironically what with Gates being an atheist philanthorpist and Jobs being a money grubbing quasi-buddhist, Gates comes out as the cool one.

(btw: mac ctl click = windows right click)

If you're interested in Jobs as a cultural icon, this fake steve blog is a good source. It's written by an ex Forbes editor.  This partial post says a lot about what you and others bring up here

We all know that there’s no fucking way in the world we should have microwave ovens and refrigerators and TV sets and everything else at the prices we’re paying for them. There’s no way we get all this stuff and everything is done fair and square and everyone gets treated right. No way. And don’t be confused — what we’re talking about here is our way of life. Our standard of living. You want to “fix things in China,” well, it’s gonna cost you. Because everything you own, it’s all done on the backs of millions of poor people whose lives are so awful you can’t even begin to imagine them, people who will do anything to get a life that is a tiny bit better than the shitty one they were born into, people who get exploited and treated like shit and, in the worst of all cases, pay with their lives.

http://www.fakesteve.net/2009/07/im-really-thinking-maybe-i-shouldn...

Thanks AnneT for the info and link!  I hope the Apple hip smugness is giving way to disillusionment, then out of the ashes maybe we'll see just another computer company.  One that makes good products, but not the mystical wonderland of coolness.  Un-sheltered by the cult of Apple, maybe it will force the company to be a little more humane, as well as shedding light on the competition who I am sure are no better.

I am a late arrival to the apple scene, but from a hardware perspective they are well built for the price. the reason apples are so good for developers is that the hardware is more predictable in the sense that there are not hundreds of thousands of hardware combinations like in the PC world. This is one reason why OSX is potentially more repeatably reliable, The hardware is a known variable, not so in the PC world. Its not that apple is the "best" option for everything but it offers a hardware platform and OS both made by the same company and this combination can offer something that microsoft can not at the moment. If I had my way every one would run open source software and preferably of the GNU flavour. But when it comes to hardware I would go for apple at the low end most times and HP or IBM for Highend .  cheers

If you do not like OSX but have an apple then install linux or bad on it. It is simple and you end up with nice hardware and a free OS. What type of applications do you need and what are the specs of the laptop PPC or intel...cheers

china hates the freethought groups along w/vatican im sure in filipine lands... think about that for asec.

Maybe so, but china will lead the world both economically and militarily within a decade. So I would take a second look at the US rhetoric that continually spews from the hatch of hillary clinton and the like. You may just find some of those facts about "evil" china are incorrect or way out of context......

CNNmore on employees in China.  Per one assembly worker:  They don't use robots because humans are cheaper.

I saw another article (sorry, no link, I forget where) speculating that soon the mega factories will be mainly robotic.  Then, presumably, less abuse of laborers.  On the other hand, that means fewer laborers - so then where do they work?  How will they survive?  Back to peasant life in even worse poverty?  Are Sweatshops an economic necessity - also CNN?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
4 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
5 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
5 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
5 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service