I think everyone likes ice cream. It is one of my favorite desserts, and now that I can’t eat my other favorite (cookies), I’ve been eating quite a bit of ice cream lately.

I love all kinds of ice cream: vanilla, mint-chocolate chip, cherry, butter-pecan, black walnut, coffee, and pistachio. You name it and I’ll eat it. About the only ice cream I dislike is chocolate. It is just too chalky for my taste.

This is my new all-time favorite: Fleur de Sel Caramel, made by Häagen-Dazs. OMG, it is so good! It is vanilla ice cream with caramel swirls, and chocolate-covered caramels sprinkled with sea salt. This stuff should be illegal! It is so yummy! You must try this if you haven’t already.

Almost anything Häagen-Dazs makes is good, but another one worthy of mention is their Pistachio ice cream. I’ve had Ben & Jerry’s Pistachio Pistachio, and I’ve had Talenti’s Pistachio Gelato. B&J’s is decent, and edible, but I was really disappointed with Talenti’s. However, HD's is the best. It has a wonderful fresh-milk taste to it that I’ve never noticed in any other ice cream.

The Häagen-Dazs FIVE series of ice creams are also spectacular. They only have five ingredients per recipe. Basic, simple ice cream.

I usually kind of turn my nose up to most Ben & Jerry’s, as it will have something I either can’t have (cookies/gluten), or something I don’t like, such as toffee or marshmallows. However, they do have one I really like: Crème Brulee. This deserves another OMG!, and it is better than HD's Crème Brulee version. This stuff is so fattening that a single serving has 25% of your RDA of fat. Approach with caution!

So what are your favorites, and why?

Tags: Ben & Jerry’s, Häagen-Dazs, dessert, food, ice cream

Views: 1476

Replies to This Discussion

I make my own ice cream. I'm lucky to live in a rural area, so I have access to local guernsey cream and free range eggs. I don't own an ice cream churn, the recipes I have don't require it.

Vanilla Ice Cream

8 egg yolks
½ cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
600ml cream

Place your double boiler over a low heat ready for the custard. (I use a pyrex bowl on top of a small saucepan of simmering water.)

In the top of the double boiler, place the egg yolks and sugar. Beat over the heat until light and creamy and it starts to thicken. It should be able to coat the back of a spoon. This doesn't take too long - about 4-5 minutes.

Remove the custard from the heat, add vanilla, and allow the custard to cool.

Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat the cream until it starts to thicken and soft peaks form.

Stir the cream into the cooled custard and mix well.

Pour into an airtight container and freeze.

Berry Ice Cream

Same as for Vanilla Ice Cream but omit the milk and add a 450g tin of berries, or 450g pureed berries (frozen is fine) to the list of ingredients.

Make custard as above.
Drain fruit.
Place syrup or juice in a saucepan and add an extra 2 tbsp sugar.
Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces by about half and thickens slightly.
Cool.

Process or blend the fruit.

Add the blended fruit and syrup to the custard mix, then add the whipped cream, mixing again.

Store in an airtight container in the freezer.

Rum and Raisin Ice Cream

8 egg yolks, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar (if you don’t have caster sugar, whizz some ordinary white sugar in a food processor until fine)
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
600ml whipping cream
1 cup raisins
½ cup dark rum

Try to start this recipe early in the morning.
Pour about 10cm (4”) of water into the bottom of a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
Place egg yolks and caster sugar into a pyrex (or heatproof) bowl, large enough to sit firmly on top of the saucepan (to form a double boiler).
Using hand-held electric beaters set on the lowest speed, beat over the heat until the mixture becomes light and creamy and starts to thicken. At this stage, the mixture should be able to coat the back of a spoon. This doesn't take too long - about 4-5 minutes. (If you don’t have a hand-held electric mixer, you can use a balloon whisk, but I think the mixer gives a better texture.)
Remove the custard from the heat, add vanilla, and set aside allow the custard to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat the cream just until soft peaks form – don’t overbeat.
Stir the cream into the cooled custard and mix well.
Pour into an airtight, 2 litre capacity container and freeze.
(Allow about five hours for the ice-cream to freeze to the stage where you can add the raisins. It should be frozen through, but still soft enough to stir in the raisins. If you add the raisins when the ice-cream is too soft, they will sink to the bottom.)
About four hours after the ice-cream has gone into the freezer, place the raisins into a shallow bowl, heat the rum for 30 seconds on HIGH in the microwave and pour the warmed rum over the raisins, mixing well. Leave the raisins to soak for about an hour, but don’t leave them much longer than that or they’ll develop a harsh alcoholic flavour.
When ice-cream is frozen through but still soft enough to stir, add the rum and raisins, stirring quickly to incorporate.
Return the ice-cream to the freezer and leave overnight.
Yummy! Love Rum Raisin too. Never seen recipes like this. Does it have the same texture as regular ice cream?
Better texture, thick and creamy and smooth. Try it. ;-)
One thing I forgot to mention, because it doesn't have all the stuff in it that commercial ice cream does, you need to take it out of the freezer a few minutes before you're going to serve it so it's not too rock hard. No biggie if you don't, but it's better for just a little time allowed to soften it a tad.
I gotta get a plane ticket and head to Australia. OMG!

But if I buy any, I actually buy Sorbet instead of ice cream. I actually like the store-brand, Safeway, and my favorite flavor is what I have in front of me. Lemon, Raspberry, Peach, Mango - they are all great.
I found the most fabulous Tiramisu ice cream in Italy and had it every day I was there. That was many years ago. My favourite is coffee ice cream with dark chocolate covered toffee pieces, but I have not seen it for a long time.
Tiramisu ice cream sounds fantabulous!
Never heard of beet ice cream, but I have heard of green tea ice cream. Also heard an NPR show on a French Restaurant serving something like anchovie & mustard ice cream.

I love coconut sorbet, btw. :)
Me too. I think I need to head over to the grocery store now!
I fell in love with lemon gelati when I was in Italy many moons ago. I've just found a commercial brand that tastes identical. I'm in heaven.

I also adore Tartufo, chocolate gelati balls, with liqueur cherries in the middle, rolled in chocolate sprinkles.
I've always like lemon, and when I was a kid my mother would usually make me a lemon bundt cake for my birthday. However, the lemon sorbet I find around here is just way too tart and acidic. It is almost too inedible. I've never had lemon gelato though.
Dallas: I love all kinds of ice cream... You name it and I’ll eat it.

Really? I remember reading an ad in a local newspaper, about someone who made ice creams and sorbets from rather unusual ingredients. Are you ready for dinde rôtie (roasted turkey)?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
4 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
5 minutes ago
Pat commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
14 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
14 minutes ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
16 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
17 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
17 minutes ago
Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
22 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
24 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
33 minutes ago
Dr. Terence Meaden commented on Dr. Terence Meaden's group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
35 minutes ago
Deidre32 posted a status
"Always raining in flor-ee-dah.............bla"
35 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service