What's the weirdest argument you've heard about my you should have children?

Just wonderin'....I've heard lots in my 28 years of marriage!

I think the weirdest and most selfish argument that I have ever heard was, "Who's gonna take care of you when you get old?" Can you believe that? As if it's fair to conceive a child just to be your nurse when you get old?

Because of our decision to remain childless we have been able to retire early and set up a future where if we need to be taken care of, we'll be responsible for that ourselves. It's as if that is a foreign concept. Or do you think it's just grasping at straws to scare us into having children?

Sometimes I think people with kids just want everyone to suffer equally :o) and are a little jealous of childless couples. Just me, or have you felt that too?

I think it would be interesting to hear what people have used to try to motivate/intimidate/scare you guys into having children!

Views: 505

Replies to This Discussion

"It's so selfish not to have kids." Apparently, creating a miniature version of oneself is a selfless act.
The other day, this guy was working me over. He said "When you have a child, that's your heart. It gives you motivation. You're being selfish"
My favorite: "Having a child gives you a sense of purpose." As if my life is pointless without a whining tiny sticky smelly obnoxious version of me.
Yeah, what if you don't like yourself?
"There is no limit to the Earth's population, because God will provide. You should have as many children as possible because otherwise you are denying potential souls access to heaven." Cuckoo. Cuckoo.
Have you heard of the quiver full movement? It is sad and funny at the same time.

I think you mean it's Terrifying and Funny at the same time.

Combine Pro-life, anti-environmentalism, and Dominionist Christianity with the idea that every unfertilized egg is a murdered child, and boom, you have the Quiverfull Cult.

Also if you've seen the Duggars, they're Quiverful--they get free healthcare from the government thanks to an arranged term of representation in the government, and they've declared themselves as a church, so they get $66,000 back in taxes every year, and they pay exactly zero taxes in.

On top of that they practice the "blanket method" of training where they beat their infants if they crawl off a blanket, as well as punish children for not appearing happy all the time.

on top of that Jim-Bob and many other quiverfull dads use their sons for free labor in businesses like construction or mechanics, while the daughters are all used for free housework, domestic chores, education, and do everything from cooking to laundry for all the younger children--the mother only cares for the youngest until she has the next baby, and then at about 1 1/2 years old it's handed off to one of the daughters she's already had to be cared for. They're forced to be parents and work full-time jobs so their mother and father can "be debtless".

Also usually families are much worse off than them--the youngest usually sleep on the floor, the oldest on barracks/cots or often more than 6 to a room. Easiest way to grow a cult--don't recruit members, they might leave--raise kids, and when people criticize you, you can just claim that they're being intolerant while you refuse to let your daughters marry anyone but the man you choose for them.

God provided really well to all six billion of us so far.
It's god's plan for you to get married and have kids
What is this "normal" you speak of?
It's a town in Illinois. It's a proper noun, so remember to capitalize it.
LOL!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service