What's the weirdest argument you've heard about my you should have children?

Just wonderin'....I've heard lots in my 28 years of marriage!

I think the weirdest and most selfish argument that I have ever heard was, "Who's gonna take care of you when you get old?" Can you believe that? As if it's fair to conceive a child just to be your nurse when you get old?

Because of our decision to remain childless we have been able to retire early and set up a future where if we need to be taken care of, we'll be responsible for that ourselves. It's as if that is a foreign concept. Or do you think it's just grasping at straws to scare us into having children?

Sometimes I think people with kids just want everyone to suffer equally :o) and are a little jealous of childless couples. Just me, or have you felt that too?

I think it would be interesting to hear what people have used to try to motivate/intimidate/scare you guys into having children!

Views: 511

Replies to This Discussion

I just got a new one!

"Not having kids is CRUEL because you're not thinking about all the people who can't have children. It's just like, laughing in their face because you can have kids but refuse to!"

....what?!

That sounds like when Dawkins claimed we should all be happy to alive because we are the few that made it.

This one is so risibly paternalistic, that it's outright brilliant:  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/opinion/brooks-the-age-of-possibi...

I quote:  "People are not better off when they are given maximum personal freedom to do what they want. They’re better off when they are enshrouded in commitments that transcend personal choice — commitments to family, God, craft and country."

So the purpose of having kids is to constrain and channel one's otherwise unfettered tendencies.  Children are good precisely because they limit our choices, for otherwise we'd run amok, and would ultimately be unhappy.

Freedom is slavery!

"You're never really going to be ready for kids, so you should have them anyway."

I've heard that one too. Then, in the next breath, they're complaining about all of those "welfare mothers" who "have kids before they're ready and able to take care of them." Okay, so which is it?

Not on topic, but every bit as silly.

Years after my wife and I split, a woman told me, "If you marry again you'll have someone to cry at your funeral."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service