I came across this by stumbling....

Excerpt form the article...
" Imagine you are walking down the street, minding your own business, and a group of young children come up to you and start yelling loudly at you, calling you "Big Nose, Big Nose!" This angers you, of course. How dare these children mock you! What disrespect! They must have been poorly brought up, you think to yourself. You just happen to be packing an AK-47 fully-automatic assault rifle with you that day. In your mad rage, you open fire into the group of children, killing them all. The air is split by the loud clatter of gunfire, blood flies, the empty cartridge cases rain down upon the ground, and small bodies are shredded in gory chunks. Screams of small boys and girls fill the air-- they are filled with terror as they run left and right, trying to escape your bullets-- but to no avail-- they can't run fast enough. You're able to hit them all. You stand there looking with satisfaction upon the result of your act: piled heaps of small bodies, blood soaked and shredded; the bodies of children who were but moments before happy and carefree, playing in the sunlight.

How outrageous, how horrendous, this example is. It resembles the worst of the tragic modern news stories of multiple homicides in the halls of our public schools. It's a terrible thing to contemplate, and I hope that we never have to hear such a thing on the news again. I even apologize to you for using such violent imagery. But I really wanted to get your attention.

Let's think about this a little further. Is there any way that we can justify this bloodshed? The children in the above example were terribly disrespectful to an adult. They mocked you. They called you "Big Nose". They were defying your authority. Certainly, they would have grown up to be terrible people. The world is better off without them. They were wicked. Isn't there some way we can look at this situation to justify their deaths? Is there any circumstance that can make this mass murder morally acceptable?

But, you say, children are just like that. They tease, they make fun of people. It's just natural for kids to mock, especially when they get into groups. Kids tend to follow the pack, and want to go along with what their friends do. Surely, this is only common sense! Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me, right? You would think this is common sense, right?

Then, gentle reader, please be so kind as to explain to me why God himself, the Loving Father, did just such a deed as this.

Please open your bible to 2 Kings, 2:23-24.

23: And he (Elisha) went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24: And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them." ... "
More in the article...

http://www.freethought.mbdojo.com/killchildren.html

Tags: bible, ethics, morals

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well if he tell one tribe to go kill everything in the next valley and take the virgins as slaves why not?
When I read the first paragraph I kept thinking "I think I had this game.". When's Red Ryder get here? (Wasteland)

Better than half the bible would get you a perp walk on the evening news(Genocide/mass murder/killing kids/slavery etc), another quarter would get you arrested without all the attention(Domestic violence/rape/etc). The last quarter would end in you being avoided by absolutely everyone.(The various parts involving shit. Cooking over it, burying it, etc)
So much for it shaping ethics.

The reason the loving father did such as that was because he was invented. And the people that invented him were batshit.
The real origin of the story was probably more along the lines of kids making fun of the people that authored the book and they wished bears would eat the little bastards. So when they came to write the bible, that's how they wrote it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service