The one thing that baptists, catholics, episcopalians, etc. all have in common is that they are christian. We have the atheists, agnostics, humanists, godless, brights, and (large number of) skeptics, etc, but we have no umbrella term that we can rally behind. We have a need for a term, any term that we can all agree on to find some commonality. There are vastly different philosophies between the various groups, (although maybe not as much as say catholics and YEC evangelicals). I agree with the "leaders" that atheist is a poor way to categorize something. ThunderF00t (of youtube fame) either came up with or is promoting PEARL
Physical
Evidance
And
Logical

What does everyone think?

Reason

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While it is a euphemism, it kind of makes a statement of saying "I'm not bound by dogma and, instead, consider things on their own merit".
True. However, in my ear, "Freethinker" has a terribly new-age-ish connotation which I think should be avoided as much as possible. Nontheist, on the other hand, is a more explicitly-interpreted term.
werd. i use toothe fairy agnostic for the same reason.
Bloody hell. There is a 22 page, 250+ post thread here on this.

This, like abortion, is becoming an undead thread. It will never end. By all means, keep spinning yourselves in circles until you drill a hole into the earth's core just do it somewhere else.

May I suggest a whole separate forum group for these topics - call it the "Bottomless Pit of Irreconcilable Difference"

And as before, I like freethinker, godless, non-theist or post-theological. "Atheist" has become like "coca cola" or "nike" - meaningless, a brand that invokes mindless reactions.
Gee, tell us how you really feel! ;)

Let them/us spin if we want. No harm is done. You don't have to post or participate in this thread or any other one like it.

But after all the ranting and raving, thanks for participating in the thread anyway and letting us know what words you like. ;)
No offence was intended - its just watching one seemingly endless thread die without resolution, only to get born again from scratch, makes me think of Sisyphus.
For a second, I thought you said "makes me think of Syphilis". :D
The curse of King Sisyphus. I think syphilus is preferable - its finite.
No offense was taken at all. I understand the apathy towards this discussion, as I have been having it for a long time. Ultimately I tell people, call yourself whatever you want, as it is just a word in the dictionary. I prefer atheist because that is the word that describes me best. Agnostic also describes me, so I sometimes refer to myself as an atheistic agnostic. But as far as an all-encompassing word, my vote is for Freethought or non-theists. The last thing I am going to do is let theists define me.
"I wonder if theists wish we would shit or get off the pot about a name."

Sometimes I think the "in-fighting" may makes us qualify for denominations. LOL
The thing about PEARL is it sounds too fruity (no offense to all you fruit cakes LOL). I think that was my great aunt's name actually.

Atheist is the most commonly known and recognized term for someone who does not believe in a deity, so for having a strong umbrella that all could fall under would be Atheist. The only issue as many may know is that some refuse to use the term because the definition of Atheist is, not the lack of belief in a deity, but an actual belief in no god. As for the minority of our minority that actual believes to know 100% that there is no god could not fall under the same umbrella that the majority of us could. I like Dawkin's "ToothFairy Agnostic" because it's so self-descriptive, but that's kinda fruity too.

So, in conversation with a theist, I would avoid the title Atheist because through conversations with other theists there is the 'you have faith that there is no god the same way i have faith there is a god' line...then i'd have to explain the everything. Additionally, that same assumption by a theists automatically makes them less able to be open minded when discussing said god.

I like free thinker too because it sends a subconscious message to a theist to question their free will.
Brian wrote on March 17 So, in conversation with a theist, I would avoid the title Atheist because through conversations with other theists there is the 'you have faith that there is no god the same way i have faith there is a god' line...then i'd have to explain the everything.

I welcome this argument, since it is easy to state examples of empirical proofs that a god exists. It should be possible for such a god to reveal itself and prove its nature to be supernatural. This puts the theist in the untenable position of having to explain what would force him to accept that there are no gods. When he cannot, you have provided him with a clear distinction between faith and drawing conclusions from empirical evidence.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Rick Springfield replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Scientific Adam and Eve in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
28 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Capitalism can't work without a poverty class.
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
1 hour ago
sk8eycat liked Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Atheist in FundyLand posted a discussion
2 hours ago
HPhan replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Hawking Says Higgs Boson Could Destroy the Universe in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service