What's in a name? (If you are atheist BUT your given name has religious meaning)

I am one of those free-thinking individuals christened as "Dominique" -- ah, how godly indeed.

I was baptized and confirmed at the age when I could not protest, hence am stuck with the name (for now).

I wonder if anyone of you share the same experience about having a "religious" name and if so, what do you think about it? Are you considering having it changed?

Come to think of it, there aren't many atheist names apart from the obvious (viz. Darwin)

Tags: name, naming

Views: 375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was named Paul, presumably after the "women should not speak in church, but be in submission" apostle.
My name (Dylan) comes from a Welsh god of the sea. Not religious in the sense you there asking about though, I'm sure.
Well, my first name is Douglas which is Scottish (originally Dubhghlas) for 'Dark River' or 'Blood River', not very religious.

However, my last name is Christensen which is danish for 'Son of Christen'. Christen being a variant of Kristen, which itself means 'Christian'... which comes from the Latin name Christianus meaning "a Christian"

So, in a round about way my last name means 'Son of a Christian'.
^^^^ points to name

Me mom actually named me after a soap opera character but everytime I've been around a xtian that have to remind me what it means ugh...So am I gift from nothing eh? great
My name is Zeke short for Ezekiel. No doubt about the origins of my name...
My friends and I always joke about this instance because the book of Ezekiel deals with the subject of blasphemy... Ironic?
Name's Jennifer, which means....{googling}...."white wave; white phantom; fair; smooth." Hm. Here's the thing, I always knew that if I ever had a son I would to give him a biblical name like Ezekiel, Elijah, Isaac, or Isaah just because I like the sound of them. The girl will be named Agrippa....just kidding...it'll be Agnes (luv that name!)
Yeah I feel the same way, I really like biblical names. For me it's Ezekiel and Genesis.
I played a Shadow Run character named GennaKiss lol.
I am Thomas the name is of greek origon and was the name of some guy in the bible who doubted jesus. Fitting huh.
My first name is Wallace. I'm also a Junior.
It isn't particularly religious, but it does mean foreigner or stranger.
I find that interesting.

The motto of the Wallace clan is "Pro Libertate - for liberty" and no member of the family encompasses that ideal more than the great Scottish patriot, Sir William Wallace of Elderslie. The Wallace clan had refused to submit to Edward I, and William led his family and fellow patriots in what was to be one of the earliest guerrilla campaigns in military history.

The Gaelic name is Ullas.
I think I like that better.
It's fun to say.
No big thing. It gives you something to talk about when you run out of topics. My hippie parents let me call them by their first names. That used to freak out the squares. This is another 'freak out the squares' thing.
My parents are pastors and all of their kids have strong Biblical names. I am Benjamin David. My brother is Aaron James.

I have no problems with the origins and meaning of my name, and know that many people these days don't even consider the origins of a name when they pick one for their kids.

What's in a name? Not as much as you would think, these days.

~BB

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service