I'm putting this question out broadly, but mostly in an architectural and programmatic sense.  I'm an architecture student in his last year. This means I'm doing my thesis, a project of my choosing which I work on for a year. I've gotten input from another forum and local friends put the more points of view the better the final product will be. Have no fear in being creative or not. real input from the kinds of people a build must serve has been something missing this past century.Simply, what would you like to see in a building for the godless?

Enclosed is the proposal from the spring.IS%20Proposal.pdf

Tags: Architecture

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Daniel,

I am a fellow Architecture student but I work as an architectural drafts-person right now. Anyway I will give you what I think would be a reasonable take on a "church" of Atheist thought.

A base structure similar to a community centre with the ability to house the office structure required to run an association such as a church (limited full time staff, administration for hall and class room booking.) I would drop the church association, as a church only has religious connotations, rather "Associates of Atheists" or something similar. You want a church without having the church part. 

Large open spaces are the key here, wood treatment(fine carpentry) with an abundance of light. Your entrance will need to be clean but suit an office style atrium with the main hall leading off. This would be beneficial to be directly viewed from the street. (The university near where I live has a similar but smaller lecture hall that is very popular with students because it feels open and dramatic.)

Your class rooms should be boundary facing with the ability to gain as much external light as possible. Regarding the location of this development, I have a feeling that some of these objectives would be veto'd by a design committee trying to get as much out of the site as possible. Effort should be made to have the building set back from the title boundary even with a landscape buffer to provide an ease between the harsh reality of a concrete metropolis and that of a place that will be for learning, freedom of speech and thought. 

Freedom of Thought. 

That is the reality of Atheism. Provide a space that allows one to think freely within the confines of a metropolis. 

(For the specifics within, most of the ideas presented fit the bill.)

I hope that I have been helpful.

G

You have a school job in this climate, good job.  likly your suggestions  will all come up in design phase, thanks for your take.
A church ?? just go out and enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service