I'm putting this question out broadly, but mostly in an architectural and programmatic sense.  I'm an architecture student in his last year. This means I'm doing my thesis, a project of my choosing which I work on for a year. I've gotten input from another forum and local friends put the more points of view the better the final product will be. Have no fear in being creative or not. real input from the kinds of people a build must serve has been something missing this past century.Simply, what would you like to see in a building for the godless?

Enclosed is the proposal from the spring.IS%20Proposal.pdf

Tags: Architecture

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"It matters because Atheism is the absence of a theistic belief system...not a religion and the term  just doesn't apply."

Atheism in the broadest sense is the non belief in a god or gods. There are nontheist religions, and being an atheist does not exclusive what may be referred to as religious beliefs or practices.  

From time to time I attend the Ethical society here in Philadelphia, which is a chapter of the American Ethical Union.  For all intents and purposes it's an atheist church, although they don't call it that.  They have hymnals and sermons.

Some people, who label themselves religious humanists, are just comfortable with that kind of ritual and community.  

The Unitarian church welcomes atheists, although the church is not atheistic itself.

Herb Silverman, president of the Secular Coalition, describes himself as a religious atheist.  He is part of the Society for Humanistic Judaism.

"The worship of a god or a supernatural being doesn't apply."

That goes without saying, since we're talking about atheism here.

I don't like to use the word or idea of church since it brings to mind uncritical, dogmatic thinking. Still, just for fun.

I'd say an astronomy room with a 360 view of the night sky where you can zoom in on any area of the sky to see what we've found there. 

A room where you could trace the evolutionary path of man and other animals.

I room loaded with books on all matter of things. Mostly books written by credited scholars on history, science, and religion. It wouldn't matter whether you could buy or rent the books though that would be preferred. 

The atmosphere would be open windows so as much light could come in as possible.  

A Cafe.

Basically, a combination of the Museum of Natural history, Barnes and Noble bookstore, and a Starbucks.  

I agree.  In that regard then, I would like to see it built around a large tree to bring the outside in. :)
I like this idea.

*  A separate room/area for children and their moms so peeps would not have to listen to the toddlers/babies.

* Activities: Movie night,cards night,board games night, etc.

* Sunday is a pot luck brunch once a month.

* Jam sessions. One night a month,contra dancing.

* Book club,small library..Read and discuss books.

* Front room is a small coffee shop anyone can enjoy.

Don't call it a church,and don't mention religion.

First of all I wouldn't call it a church. I'd call it a center for atheism or something like that.

I'd like to see:

- A Preschool, After Care Program for School Age, Summer Camps and a Playground

- A lecture hall to invite guest speakers or to have members speak on topics they are interested in.

- A stage for performances either by members or to invite guests.

- Several classrooms to hold study groups/reading groups for whatever interests the members.

- A large yard for holding outdoor gatherings/secular weddings with maybe a covered patio. 

- A library

- Of course all the rooms need to be properly equipped with all the technological stuff to make meetings of all sorts go smoothly.

How about making the main area an observatory?  Or maybe you could have a dome that is painted with the map of the night sky?  Anyway, that is my .02.

Don't call it atheist:

Whatever organization will be in the building. If they have any ideology/philosophy beyond

the rejection of a God, they shouldn't call it Atheist. Otherwise, people will hold all atheist

responsible for the view of a few.

Don't call it church (or chuch):

Atheism is not a religion or a single belief. Besides, one doesn't really want to copy the

religions.

How about calling it a nice building for people who use reason. :)
That's what I think, too.
I don't know if we'd use some edifice or not.  Clearly, the title of church wouldn't work.  I do envy the social gatherings traditional religions have (picnics, etc) I wish there was some of that for Atheists in the Northern Virginia area.  I suggest having a service at a winery on Sunday's.  The superstitious won't be there bothering us, they'll be reciting incantations to their imaginary friends.
It was the Johnathan wax building in Michigan, and I would point out that flw's style is a reaction to industrial architecture like the Crystal Palace, combining them is a bit of a contradiction, but I understand what your getting at.  For exactly what you might be interested in, check out Viollet Le Duc. He's the godfather of modernism. In the reading, you may see the familiar.
Attachments:

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service