What Would Jesus Do?

Once, when George Bernard Shaw, was asked what he thought of Christianity, he replied after a very long pause, "I don't know; it might work if anyone ever tried it."

Mahatma Gandhi:

"Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Friedrich Nietzsche

"The last Christian died on the cross."

This is not meant to be a screed against Christianity. As a matter of fact, I've come to think of myself lately as a "non-Christian Christian." I honor Jesus for his humanity, humility and compassion; I just can't accept his divinity.

Rather than a diatribe, this sermon is meant to be an examination of what I call "lip-service Christians," those people who profess to be followers of Christ without practicing what he preached.

For example:

Time and time again, Jesus tells would-be followers that first they must give all they own to the poor.

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Mammon."

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

If all that weren't clear enough, he says, °It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Yet how many self-professed Christians would give away all they own in order to follow in Jesus's footsteps? More likely, they would be like the rich young prince in Matthew who sorrowfully will not be a disciple because he loves his possessions more than he loves his Messiah.

What would Jesus do about the greed and materialism of our Christian country?

Jesus said: "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

And yet our Christian society is built on lust. Everywhere you look, woman's bodies are being exhibited and exploited to stimulate male lust. Even what used to be derided as "plumber's butt" has been turned into an object of desire, giving "how low can you get" a new meaning.

What would Jesus do about our obsession with sex?

Jesus also held marriage to be sacred. "But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery."

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the 2005 divorce rate in the U.S. was 36%. (The rate may be lower than you'd expect because cohabiting couples that break up are not included in the figure.)

What would Jesus do about the one-third of our Christian country that divorces, sometimes more than once?

When Jesus was questioning the rich young prince to see if he was worthy to be one of his disciples, Jesus asked him if he had followed the Ten Commandments. One of those commandments is, of course, "Thou shalt not kill."

Yet our Christian nation, led by a born-again Christian, launched a war against a country that was no threat to us, with the result that hundreds of thousands of Iraqis as well as our own soldiers have been killed.

Would Jesus have invaded Iraq? Would Jesus now invade Iran?

In the Sermon on the Mount, the first Christian tells us, "Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God." Where are those sons of God now that we need them so much?

Jesus preached mercy and compassion, and nowhere as eloquently as in the parable of the good Samaritan. He ends the story with this command, "Go, and do thou likewise."

And where would that be? In Abu Ghraib? Guantanamo Bay? Our secret CIA detention centers? Our prisons?

What would Jesus do about torture?

In July 1972, a Time magazine subscriber wrote, "And although people have professed Christ for centuries, they have truly worshiped the devil, as they pray on their knees on Sunday and¡­on their neighbors the rest of the week."

Has anything changed in the last 35 years?

Gandhi, another non-Christian Christian, also said, "If only people would study the historical Jesus and his message of compassion."

Maybe the question this sermon should be asking is not "What would Jesus do," but "what should true Christians do in his name?" It's worth a thought, ­before we break for coffee.

Please stand and join hands for the Benediction.

From St. Jerome:

"Do not let your deeds belie your words, lest when you speak in church someone may say to himself, 'Why do you not practice what you preach?'"

A sermon I delivered at First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia in 2007.

Tags: Christianity, Gandhi, Jesus, Nietzsche, Shaw, hypocrisy, lip-service

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One small point of contention - USA isn't a Christian nation. It's a multicultural one; while there are more self-professed christians than say jews, muslims, atheists, buddhists, etc. our Constitution specifically establishes NO state religion, NO state church, and NO laws requiring christianity. There are references in our founding documents to God, but none to Jesus.

Angie, what do you think of Florida Family and their unethical immoral bullshit?

florida family

I think Jesus is way overrated. Biblically he was a hypocrit; asking people to turn the other cheek, and give everything to the poor and did neither of these himself. He beat the money changers at the temple and gave up nothing but good sense. If you read the sermon on the mount carefully you'll see he glorifies poverty and demonizes wealth. He tells people not to despair because the "next life" will be so much better which gives people a false sense of comfort and sets them up to be pacified and complacent even when oppressed, well... especially when oppressed.

I kid you not, Jesus gave some of the worst advice ever. Let's look at Matthew 5:11-12 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. Persecution and martyrdom should be expected and are glorified. Telling people to rejoice in their persecution has got to be the most bizarre, short sighted, wickedly-cruel and poorly thought out advice ever!
Whatever Jesus would do, it would involve food of some kind.

For him to eat.

And then for some reason, he'd get really mad.

Basically, that's what Jesus would do.
Jesus basically wasn't a very nice guy, he was wildly hypocritical most of the time.Depending on who you talk to the christian view of him is very confused, they are not sure if he was simply a man, a god, a man without a penis I was told once because he was 'pure' or a man, a son of god, and a god all at the same time.The guy had issues.
Like they sau he wasn't the messiah, he was a very naughty boy.he was one of hundreds of people hanging around at the time of the roman occupation, claiming to be the Messiah, the son of god,able to do miricles and all the rest of it.
When I pointed out that the bible claims that he was circumsised after 8 days which would be difficult to do if he didn't have a penis the fundy in question simply started sulking.
Jesus told many good things in the statement. I m impressed. In fact he made me a fan of him. but one thing he severly lacks is practicality. He is is unable to provide any practical solutions to problems of poverty, divorce or killings. No social problem gets solved by mere words. It has to be well thought practical formula to make solution possible. Religious teahings of all religons don't have any practical value.

Jesus would not do a thing.  Afterall, he does not exist.

Thumbs up Regina!!!

Very good sermon or argument. Not sure what it means to an atheist, being one I can just comment that people should follow their beliefs and if they believe in jesus then that's what they should follow.

As Regina stated: Jesus would not do a thing. Afterall, he does not exist.

Being an atheist, I have to agree with her.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service