Somehow, I cannot imagine Jebus approving of this:

WICHITA, Kansas -- Dr. George Tiller, a Kansas doctor whose clinic received national attention for performing late-term abortions, was shot to death as he entered his Wichita church on Sunday.

"Members of the congregation who were inside the sanctuary at the time of the shooting were being kept inside the church by police," the Wichita Eagle reported, "and those arriving were being ushered into the parking lot."

Media reports said the suspected killer fled the scene in a white or blue Taurus.

Tiller has been among the few U.S. physicians performing late-term abortion, making him a favored target of anti-abortion protesters. He testified that he and his family have suffered years of harassment and threats. His clinic was the site of the 1991 "Summer of Mercy" protests marked by mass demonstrations and arrests. His clinic was bombed in 1985, and an abortion opponent shot him in both arms in 1993.

Tiller was acquitted in March of misdemeanor charges stemming from procedures he performed, but moments after the verdict the state's medical board announced it was investigating allegations against him that are nearly identical to those the jury had rejected.

Prosecutors had alleged that Tiller had in 2003 gotten second opinions from a doctor who was essentially an employee of his, not independent as state law requires, but a jury took only about an hour to find him not guilty of all 19 counts.

Tiller, who could have faced a year in jail for even one conviction, stared straight ahead as the verdicts were read, with one of his attorneys patting his shoulder after the decision on the final count was declared. His wife, seated across the courtroom, fought back tears and nodded. The couple declined to speak to reporters afterward.

Tiller, 67, has claimed that the prosecution was politically motivated. An attorney general who opposed abortion rights began the investigation into Tiller's clinic more than four years ago, but both his successor, who filed the criminal charges, and the current attorney general support abortion rights.

>>>>>Kansas has the death penalty. I oppose it. It would serve society far better -- and punish the culprit more harshly -- to incarcerate him for life without parole. In any case, he can always ask "God" to forgive him, and every Christer church in America would give him absolution. That way, he can go out the next day and kill someone else.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder how they'll justify this one....
Your answer. - http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/8967610531.html

WASHINGTON, May 31 /Christian Newswire/ -- Randall Terry, founder of Operation Rescue, led protests against George Tiller's late-term abortion clinic in Wichita in 1991.

Randall Terry, founder of Operation Rescue states, "George Tiller was a mass-murderer. We grieve for him that he did not have time to properly prepare his soul to face God. I am more concerned that the Obama Administration will use Tiller's killing to intimidate pro-lifers into surrendering our most effective rhetoric and actions. Abortion is still murder. And we still must call abortion by its proper name; murder.

"Those men and women who slaughter the unborn are murderers according to the Law of God. We must continue to expose them in our communities and peacefully protest them at their offices and homes, and yes, even their churches."
My take on Randall Terry is at: http://fundamentalistjackass.blogspot.com/
There is a story at alternet about Bill O'Reilly's rants against Dr. Tiller having brought about the murder. My response was as follows:

Your blaming O'Really is misplaced. Few intelligent people put any stock in anything O'Really has to say. He is a buffoon and a clown and it is obvious to anyone with a 6th grade education. To my mind, the real culprit, the person most culpable for inspiring most anti-OBGY violence is none other than Randall Terry [photo]. You point out that the suspected murderer of Dr. Tiller posted a "chilling" message at the website for Operation Rescue. Well, who do you think founded that organization.

The web site has a "Tiller Watch." The very name, "operation," suggests militancy and crypto-terrorist intentions and beliefs. They've made Dr. Tiller the embodiment of all their hatred for freedom of choice. Whereas Bill O'Really is just a goofball entertainer with a penchat for childish temper tantrums, Randall Terry is a murderous hate monger who exhorts his followers to take the law into their own hands, casting abortionists as holocaustic madmen who exterminate innocent children. Lay the blame where it is due.
Attachments:
It cannot be justified, but I predict that these killings will become more commonplace as the debate accellerates in the religious right's efforts to get Roe v. Wade overturned. Don't forget the Rev. Paul Hill (see photo), who was executed in Florida in 2003 for murdering an abortion doctor. From Wikipedia:

"In a statement before his execution, Hill said that he felt no remorse for his actions, and that he expected 'a great reward in Heaven.' During his trial, the judge did not allow Hill to use an affirmative defense of justification. Hill said he viewed the acts as defensive rather than retributive. Hill left behind a manuscript manifesto which his backers promised him they would publish. That manifesto and his address to the jury that convicted him echoed the words of John Brown, who had attempted to incite a violent insurrection to end slavery in the United States. Hill was not apologetic for the killings, and in his last words he encouraged others who believe abortion is an illegitimate use of lethal force to 'do what you have to do to stop it.'"

I italicized the words, "a great reward in Heaven." This is precisely what jihadist terrorists like al Qaida and the Taliban say when they slaughter innocent people, including children, in furtherance of their insane interpretation of the Qu'ran. As I keep reminding myself (and anyone reading) my blog, Anti-Church Militant, there is about as much difference between one fundamentalist and another as between white chocolate and dark; one has only to substitute the word, "Heaven" for "Paradise," though I must admit, Rev. Hill's rewards would appear to me much greater, as he will not be limited to the sexual favors of 72 virgins.
Attachments:
They have arrested a 51-year-old man (he is about the same age as Paul Hill). There may be a connection, too: Hill was a member of the Army of God, and the woman who shot Tiller a few years ago (but obviously did not stop him from performing abortions) was a member as well. It will be interesting how this plays out. The Army of God is on the FBI's terrorist list. I think killing an abortion doctor is per se terrorism. It is literally designed to scare other abortion providers into quitting.
I am wondering what you mean by "moderate atheists." Who do you consider a "moderate atheist." I think the worse offenders are intelligent people who refuse to abandon their irrational beliefs. They are a greater threat, I think. I am talking about, e.g., Andrew Sullivan, who debated Sam Harris at an online site on the subject of apologetics. Sullivan takes the position that mainstream Christers are OK because they don't act like evangelicals or do nutty things like this 51-year-old loser who loves God and hates women. Harris said that the mainstream Christers were (my word, from A.A.) enablers. That is, by their continued adherence to supernatural fantasies, they encourage the nutjobs like Rev. Hagee (photo) to maintain their own brand of religulosity. Of course I am slightly biased, but I think Harris won the debate hands down. But I am ever mindful of the fact that where dogma is involved, one cannot win a debate.
Attachments:
OK, I was just wondering if one is published or has become well known in some other way. Probably not.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service