What were the first books you read in favor of skepticism/atheism?

This is a "poll" of sorts, just for my own curiosity. I read many books on my path from believing in the Christian god to atheism, but the two that stand out most in my memory are "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell and "Atheism: The Case against God" by George H. Smith. I still enjoy both books (though Smith's blatant libertarianism is annoying) and I'm wondering what other people read as they "saw the light" so to speak.

Tags: atheism, books

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Atheism: The Case against God" by George H. Smith.

This is the book that started all the shenanigans! I was in the library about 5 years ago gathering books on just about every subject possible, seeking out ideas. I picked that one up and the rest is history.
'Why I Am Not A Christian" by Bertram Russell,which I read in about 1972.
Demon Haunted World, Red Mars(fiction), The God Delusion, the three have to go together for me.
I am currently reading my first one, which is "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. I can't get through a single page without calling someone to talk about what I've read.

I've been Atheist since I was a young 'un. I never really read any books or watched any movies or documentaries that led me to being Atheist. I guess I just relied on logic and my life observations. I think the fact that my parents never discussed it and let me form my own opinions helped a lot.
I grew up an atheist, really... I can't remember the name of the first book I read on the subject, or even who it was by, but I was fairly young and it was given to me by my brother. Recently I've been reading Richard Dawkins, though. 'The God Delusion', of course, is the most relevant one, I suppose. Mostly I just read a lot of science books, that might touch on the subject a little, rather than reading books full-out on atheism.
I've been an atheist all of my life. I don't recall reading anything in particular that led me to this view--other than the Bible. The implausibility of the views offered by religion just appeared so plain, and my parents mercifully left me free to make up my own mind. I read and cheered Bertrand Russell's "Why I am Not a Christian" some time ago. More recently, my interest was rekindled with David Eller's "Natural Atheism," Sam Harris's "Letter to a Christian Nation," and Richard Dawkins's "The God Delusion." I also read Douglas Wilson's "Letter from a Christian Citizen" to learn more of what the "other side" had to offer.
Ironically - The Bible

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein helped
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
The Hero With a Thousand Faces & The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
No Boundary by Ken Wilber

Basically, if you read almost anything and then THINK about what has been said - you will eventually realize that the Bible and, by extension, the concept of an "Authorless author (see 'god') is laughable.
My first influential books were 1984 (Orwell), Demian (Herman Hesse) and Answer to Job (Carl Jung). Demian scratched the surface and answer to job just dug in. After that I started reading all kinds of books including Nietzche, Camus and Ayn Rand....Recently I've read The god delusion and god is not great. I enjoyed hitchen's book a little more, but A river out of eden was just a beautifully written book by dawkins, its small and very interesting.
I started with Christopher Hitchen's "God Is Not Great", than moved on to "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. I also farm the You Tube sites for debates by these two. As to seeing the light, I must say yes to that. The doubt was always there, but they, and other, helped me take that final step over the line into the light or reason.
Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' was the first book I read that pointed out some of the more bleedin' obvious holes in religion.

The first specifically anti-religious book I read was probably The God Delusion, but I'd read a fair bit of Dawkins in magazines etc prior to its publication.
I have heard so much about Hitchhiker's Guide. Did you find it a worthwhile read? I'm intrigued.
I love it but remembered seeing the TV adaptation when I was a kid and, just, hearing the original radio series. I think it's brilliant but am not very objective about it!

Give the first book a pop. You'll either laugh out loud or wonder what on Earth is going on.

Probably both.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service