What were the first books you read in favor of skepticism/atheism?

This is a "poll" of sorts, just for my own curiosity. I read many books on my path from believing in the Christian god to atheism, but the two that stand out most in my memory are "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell and "Atheism: The Case against God" by George H. Smith. I still enjoy both books (though Smith's blatant libertarianism is annoying) and I'm wondering what other people read as they "saw the light" so to speak.

Tags: atheism, books

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read "The Case against God" by George H. Smith when I was a student. It must have been one of the first books I ever bought for myself. I was already an atheist but it introduced me for the first time to arguments which put a positive spin on being an atheist. It was his description of the mental freedom of being an atheist that I found inspiring.
The first book I read that made me become an atheist was the Bible. lol

The first book I read with a skeptical/atheist point-of-view was "The Portable Nietzsche", which is a compilation of some of Nietzsche's works. I was pretty much already an atheist by that point though.
I also read The Case Against God in addition to The God Delusion, The End of Faith, Letter to a Christian Nation, and God is not Great. I didn't read any of these books until a couple of years after actually becoming an atheist.
Hi Supernaut. "Philosophy: Who needs it?" and "The Virtue of Selfishness" both by Ayn Rand were among the first books I read which were atheistic in nature yet had principles and morality.
Candide - Voltaire
First book was "Why I Am Not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell... which is a collection of essays including topics other than religion, but it was my first introduction around age 13 or 14.
Bertrand Russels's "A History of Western Philosophy"
Thank you to everyone who answered so far.

(NOTE to any libertarians: Smith's being a libertarian doesn't bother me, it's shoving it into a book about atheism that does. Just wanted to clear that up.)
I think I read these in jr. high- high school...
Russell's "Why I am not a Christian."

And, not explicitly atheist, but definitely heretical in a skeptical way -- Twain's "Letters from the Earth."

I didn't really need convincing, but these two books helped me feel like I wasn't alone in my disbelief.
Atlas Shrugged & the Fountainhead were the first books I remember reading that were atheistic. I haven't fully read any books about atheism yet. I was an atheist long before I ever thought to read about it so it's like preaching to the choir. I have The God Delusion, The End of Faith and Why People Believe Weird Things.
I don't know, probably Alice in Wonderland. I mean, it started so damned early in me. I read a lot, and I know that a lot of books I read were thought of as subversive. I read the Devil's Dictionary pretty early. I was into The Realist as a teenager.

I was reading a biography of John Lennon at the time I actually said it out loud. I also started getting a subscription to Skeptic, and I had read The Humanist mag in the library.
The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, Freethinkers History of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby, The KJV Bible....(had much to do with making me an agonostic at first).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service