Title pretty much says it all, but I became one because:
-Catholicism's ideology just didn't make sense
-I had some major issues with their core beliefs
-my Confirmation program at my church made me really think about what I was believing
-I just don't think that this God that I was brought up with exists.
-My mom constantly imposing on me made me realize that a life with religion was not a life I wanted to live at all
-I believe man created God, not the other way around.

I am interested in your experiences :) so do tell!

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite response to this question is the very simple: "I thought about it."
Which is true.
Then I read a whole lot of books, watched Hitchens and Dawkins on a bunch of YouTube videos, read some more, joined some Atheist forums and eventually found this place.
I started as a Catholic and attended Catholic school where I experienced hypocrisy first hand from the priests and nuns. So I "rebelled" and looked into Wicca, but that was full of too much new-age stupidity that even I, as a 13 yr old, could see was just made up by morons trying to sell books full of woo and crappy poetry. So I read history and tried "real" "historical" paganism, but realized that was just made up by older, dead morons trying to get a free ride from their fellow villagers and controlling them. Then I started to read physics books (some of which were apologetic in nature, but those always seemed like trying to force a square peg in a round hole to me) and then I read some specifically atheist books about the scientific impossibility of an "omniscient" god. Then I read of Spinoza's "god" and decided maybe pantheism was for me, and felt pretty good with the idea that the Universe itself was "divine"...
And finally, I watched the movie "The Incredibles" wherein the villain character makes the statement "if everyone is special... then no one is special." And I realized that the same applies to pantheism. It's a very short step from the statement "The Universe is God" to the much simpler (and more elegant, IMO) statement, "The Universe just is."

So there it is. The Readers Digest version of my journey to Atheism. (Beware Christians! Watching "The Incredibles" may cause Atheism! lol )
Hahaha indeed it might. Although the many times I have watched that movie I have never thought of that line in that way. That is an interesting point of view
I had always leaned in that direction but at some point, I just became tired of constantly trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole. Everything made so much more sense once I just let go of it all. I had also been reading a lot of science books like, Einstein, Sagan, etc. that got me to thinking it a lot of different ways. I've never regreted it and I've been much better off for it.
Hello Kristine,

Another former Catholic here. It's difficult to find your way out of the ideology when just about every adult in your childhood is saying the Apostle's Creed. Parents, teachers, scout leaders, everyone's going along. But the doubts never went away.
With life, knowledge and much thought, the truth emerged.

Dan
I read 2 books while at a relatives' house. One was the Secret. It was total bullshit, but I realized the same logic that could be used to disprove the "law of attraction" could also be used to disprove Wiccan psuedoscience. The other was a Carl Sagan book. I always liked him and reading some more of his books got me to think more scientificially. I put my skepticism on a shelf for awhile (the same as I had done about people who made outrageous supernatural claims) but after being shunned by my Wiccan former friends I was more honest with myself and realized that other than coming into paganism with an "oh yeah? prove it" attitude, I convinced myself of things b/c I wanted to fit in. I had a feeling after reading the Demon Haunted World that I would be "officially" atheist and that's just what happened. Suddenly everything made sense and it was the closest I ever felt to getting "saved".
Prog Rock Girl said:-

"coming into paganism with an "oh yeah? prove it" attitude"
"Suddenly everything made sense and it was the closest I ever felt to getting "saved"."

Interestingly, with me, it was almost the opposite way - when I discovered Wicca (I'd bought a book to have a laugh at them, and ended up up buying into it for a while) I felt as if I'd "come home".

On the other hand, the atheism change was a more of a "ohhh, yeah, of course, that's how it is then."
That is also very interesting. I cannot say I tried Wiccanism or however it is referred to, but for me it went more like this: Non-religious Catholic --> Non-religious doubting Catholic --> agnostic --> atheist
A lot of people said they had that "come home" feeling. Imagine feeling even more out of place when you don't really have it there either!
I don't think it's accurate to say any particular thing made me become an atheist. Like everyone else I was born without any knowledge of any religion, and my parents were too enlightened to fill my head with religious crap. If I had to pick the one thing that I feel influenced my outlook on religion more than any other it would have to be one of my favorite childhood possessions, D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. I spent many happy hours as a child reading the stories & looking at the pictures in that book, and I always felt it was unfair that the ancient Greeks had really cool gods & goddesses who partied & drank & had sex & danced and we Judeo-Christians were stuck with just one god who was basically nothing more than a jealous, petty, vindictive asshole.

My father was the choir director at a nearby church but he did it because he loved music, not because he was into religion. I was never very close to him; my parents got divorced when I was 9 and it was a bitter divorce and they fought constantly for years afterwards. I remember one conversation I had with him about religion; he told me that people used to believe the stories in the bible but these days with all the advances in science nobody really believed them anymore. I think he actually believed that, and I believed him because I was young and he was my parent and kids are programmed to believe what their parents say, but he did me a disservice by telling me that. It took me a long, long time before I realized that he was wrong and that lots of people, even today, REALLY DO believe that everything in the bible is literally true. I still find it hard to believe that people actually take religion seriously, and I have to work very hard to suppress a derisive smirk when people talk in serious terms about their religion, but I have to get along with the people around me and some of them are very religious.
That makes sense
Just can't stand that talking snake. :D
I didn't become one so much as I became comfortable enough with myself to begin to openly admit that I believe something that goes against popular sentiments.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service