Here's my take on it.

Agnosticism is illogical and refutes itself. Agnosticism and agnostics characterize God as unknowable, ineffable, incomprehensible to all attempts to understand him. This doctrine is self-refuting. The agnostic is making a knowledge claim about what he/she claims is unknowable. How do agnostics know that God is unknowable if he is unknowable ? How do they even know that God's existence cannot be disproved if God is unknowable, or that God even exists if he is unknowable ? To claim any attribute for God is knowledge and claims to know this unknowable God possesses certain attributes. That's a logical contradiction, and any being containing two incompatible attributes cannot possibly exist. So one need not resort to agnosticism. He/she would be justified in not believing in that God if the concept of it contradicts itself in any way. One is justified in accepting and adopting the atheist position.

Tags: Agnosticism, Illogic, Refuting, Self

Views: 2347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That may be some people's experience, but it's not mine. I wasn't really raised in a religious household. I decided I was atheist around age ten and openly discussed it with my parents. I later connected to the term Agnostic Atheist because technically I can't be 100% positive that there isn't a god or some sort of creator energy. I just don't believe that there is one based on the evidence out there so far. 

If you are an agnostic, you have not made the final step to atheism yet. Some may never make that step. Others do. To the christian an agnostic can still "be saved" because he has not become "totally stupid like the atheists." I suppose Genesis told us all how wanting knowledge was a bad thing.

There's a series on You Tube called "how to make an atheists head explode." The dumb christians really believe this, and I'm LMAO about it!

That is assuming that the final step is atheism. I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist. Being an agnostic and being an atheist are not mutually exclusive. There are also many different kinds of Agnostics out there. I actually relate more to atheists than to agnostic theists. 

Christians would have absolutely no luck with me. I imagine that if there is some sort of creator force out there, it would be absolutely nothing like what is described in the Bible. It certainly wouldn't have something so human as a gender or jealousy. The bible is too human and flawed, it was pretty obviously created by people. 

What seems to make more sense is Neil deGrass Tyson's position which he has referred to as "weak agnosticism" or "empirical agnosticism" which does not say that it is impossible to know whether a God or Gods exist, but perhaps one day, it may be possible to know, it's just simply we do not know currently.

So, the empirical agnostic says that currently we do not know, but perhaps one day we can know. That, to me, seems more intellectually honest a position than any other stance.

That's about where I'm at Matt. 

It makes no sense to me when somebody says 'There is probably no god' because this can also mean that there is probably a god. This does not convey any solid message. It is better not to say anything if you have nothing really to say. If you are unable to resolve your doubt then you better remain a believer and refrain from unnecessarily causing a confusion in others mind. A prayer like 'Oh god, if there is a god, save me if I can be saved' is unlikely to be answered by the god himself! If you know that your prayer is not likely to be answered, be an atheist. You have nothing to loose.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service