My father (RIP) was catholic and my mother is catholic.

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My parents are Jewish. I went to a Conservative Temple until I was about 11 or 12 and then they switched to Reform Judaism. I started to doubt god when I was 13.
-Staks
Hmm. My mom is a southern baptist. :/ As far as her religion goes... she is an avid churchgoer and active in a lot of church-sponsored activities (though not as much these days what with life and all), but she is not a fundamentalist interestingly. Only because she's not a thinker, though, and is too nice, meek and busy surviving to have time for such insanity. We don't talk about religion and when I try she just laughs it off as another instance of my eccentricity. .... oO

My dad I think is a secret 'agnostic' in his heart of hearts. He is a crazy ass ex-felon, ex-Satan's Tramp biker rock-a-billy. Nice guy. Not so great of a father growing up. He seems to ignore religion all together and was never, ever fond of my mother going to church when they were married. He told me that when he was in jail he read the bible straight through but never really offered any critique of it to me. In any case he was supposedly raised officially as a pentecostal, but would probably say he was just 'christian' if he had to fill in a questionnaire or something.

... sorry if you didn't want a drawn out explanation. :D
My parents were Protestants (joined numerous churches). My father became a truly right wing religious nut case before he died (1994)--this is a bit scary, as he was an atheist as a young man and an agnostic when he was middle-aged. Fortunately, I have not sensed that trend in myself (at least not yet, at 65). :-)
I honestly do not know if either of my parents are religious or not?

My mom I would hazard a guess that she might at most be a deist in a vague sort of way, my stepfather might score higher, I think his mom went to church.

My grandmothers (moms side) father was supposedly a Baptist Minister.

My grandfathers side of the family according to my uncle didn't have much to do with religion in general. For all I know I might be a multi-generational non-theist.
My parents are Seventh-Day Adventists. This is one of the more enthusiastic branches of the Christian delusion movement and they are both devout. Oddly, my mother is the more willing to discuss matters of religious belief and I have had lengthy, but seemingly fruitless, discussions with her. My father is the more closed one and he no longer discusses the subject with me once he perceived that he would have to answer my questions if he hoped to receive answers to his.

Because Seventh-Day Adventists are so active in their church, like many evangelical religions, it is more difficult to have a debate with them than with a more complacent religion like Catholicism. It's all about getting that weekly brainwashing booster shot.
I was quite fortunate in that both my parents were pretty much non religious. I never even knew what my parents believed until I was about 22 when I asked them. Religion was never discussed in our home, despite the fact that all my grandparents were/are christian.

I found out that my mom was a non-practicing christian(which flavor I don't know) or 'Ignorstic' if you will, and my dad was an agnostic -- to which I immediately replied "Agnostics are just atheists with no balls" making him laugh(which is rare).

I am eternally grateful to my parents for letting me make up my own mind, instead of brainwashing me in either direction.
Me too, I'm lucky enough to have parents who both are and always were open-closet atheists. However, my grandmother made herself a big part of my life, and she was starting and ending her days with prayers, fasting, celebrating all religious holidays and so on, so I participated. I, however, being a little child, thought it was just some sort of game me and grandma are playing, both pretending there is an invisible man in the sky who get happy when we say certain words to him. It was a fun game while it lasted. I actually told one of my friends who started saying something about god - "no, it's not your game, it's my and my grandma's game, you can make up your own if you want." :) Once I got a little older, she stopped bringing it up though, guess she felt I'm some kind of mutant born from mutants who don't have a natural need for that.
My Mother was a recovering Catholic and my Father a non practicing southern Baptist. As a compromise they "became" Presbyterian and raised us as your average submarine protestants. In the last 5 years they have undergone a conversion and are now born agains. So I guess the short answer was "confused".
My parents are English but my father was raised to be an atheist. This failed and when he was about 20, I believe, he discovered God. He took steps to joining the priesthood, anglican I assume, but was rejected and pointed towards Christian demononinations more suited to his views. He eventually settled on Russian Orthodox but in Australia when I was a child that meant attending Greek Orthodox church. I was never taught Greek but taken to church (given in Greek) every Sunday (how weird is that?), it was different lol. I remember being told do say my prayers at night when I was very young but I was probably only about 6 when I began to think it was a crock. I went straight to " well so who made God then?" and that was it. When I was about 8 I chucked a screaming fit in the car with my father as he was trying to drive me to my second confession and he turned around, dropped me home, and church was never required of me again except at Easter.

I think my mother is agnostic. She has little interest in such things but I think she thinks it's rude to say anything against Christianity so she just says nothing and gets irritated if it, or atheism, comes up in conversation. I therefore don't know if she went to church as a child or not.
It may be that you are more likely to hear about a Catholic Atheist than a SDA Atheist only because of sheer numbers but I suspect it is as much due to differences in the dogma of each religion.
My mom will visit any christian churches but always goes back to the pentecostal church. She is not at all fundamentalist, she always taught me to think for myself. I told her that I was an atheist partially because of those teachings.

My dad never wanted to go to church with us as a kid. He never talked about religion. He laughed at possible miracles happening. He was reared as a Methodist. After I became an atheist two years ago, I thought he may as well be atheist. Not the case I found. He did listen to my arguments and conceded that answers would come when we got to heaven. At that point, we just stopped talking about religion.
My parents are both active Lutherans at a somewhat liberal church.

Can't really say much negative about it, as far as christian denominations go. Good music traditions- so much better to my ear than most of the wimpy, half-hearted stuff at all of the Catholic churches I've been to. A good sense of self-reliance, individualism, and antiauthoritarianism. Female clergy, generally good relations to homosexuality. Non-dogmatic on abortion rights, pro-environmental protection. Don't take seriously all the silliness about sainthood, virgin birth, purgatory, mortal sin, etc associated with Catholicism. Yet also they don't get into all of the self-righteous, overenthusiatic nuttiness of evangelicals and fundis.

If they could move beyond the whole idea of the existence of god, they'd have a pretty good thing going.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service