I'm going to apologize in advance-- I'm not nearly as eloquent as many of you. I'm one of your younger, sillier Atheists. I hope though that you still give my ideas a chance. Who knows, maybe my directness will prove refreshing!

Chivalry has always baffled me. In my mind it generally equates to "Men repressing the asshole side of their personality so that you will bear their young". To others, it means, "Open the door for me, pussy." I've always felt like men sort of do that sort of thing because their parents have always told them they have to. Like church. But maybe I'm wrong?

There's this boy in my art class. He took one of my besties to prom. He happened to hear that I went to a feminist lecture and he laughed a light (but direct), condescending laugh... which I ignored because I'm so... feminine. A few days later, I walk into class, and it's the first period of the day so the chairs are all stacked on top of the desks. I go to take my chair down, and this kid immediately starts yelling and runs over, takes my chair, and sets it down. I yell at him, mostly joking, and I point to Joe, sitting across from me and ask why he had to steal my chair instead of Joe's.

Him: "Because Joe's a MAN!"
Me: "Haahh, so you stole my chair because I'm a woman?!?" <-- Thought I was joking
Him: "YES!! ...It's not a BAD thing..."
Me: *says nothing in utter shock*

I marvel at this boy's idea of the world. He's in for a good shot of disillusionment in college. I've heard men complain at how women will get mad if you open a door for them, and also get mad if you won't. I've never seen this happen, personally, I think it's mostly a paranoia.

This is a bit different. This is not anything groundbreaking or horrid, but it did make me think. It's the equivalent of stopping a girl from 20 feet back, pushing her away from the door, and then opening it for her. It doesn't make anyone's life any easier. Meanwhile, poor Joe may be carrying a stack of boxes, and no courtesy is shed upon him.

So what have I done to deserve the "respect" that is portrayed through the opening of doors, walking of home, and picking up of pencils? (Maybe I'm not accustomed. When I went to prom, and the door was opened, I would literally wait a second or two before realizing it was for me.)

It sounds nice enough on the surface, but really, I don't think my vagina qualifies me for anything special that we can't bestow upon men as well. I've never been a huge fan of the feminism where we treat women like men. Really, I think we should be treating men like women.

Tags: chair, chivalry, feminism, joe, men, stealing, women

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am simultaneously confused and completely convinced by your logic.

I wonder how many other issues can work that way, too? My sister always says I eat too many of the crackers and cream cheese...
NO WEI.

If it's Ritz and Strawberry cream cheese, we'll have to figure out how we got separated at birth. O_O
Nope, it's wheat thins and the normal-flavor cream cheese. Ritz are okay as a backup, though.
Get out of my thread. Get out.
I agree with the strawberry cream cheese, but usually prefer to use triscuts as my cracker of choice.
Not true. I change my underwear every day.
What do you change it into?
if i'm not mistaken, chivalry dates back to the victorian/previctiorian era, where, not unlike the entirety of modern civilization, women were more possessions and a representation of status. to treat them delicately, for the frailty of such a prized object, would make sense with that mindset. i would say that today, the majority of people, especially the younger generation (of which Im a member) do not understand, nor care to understand, the history of most of the traditions that modern society blindly imprints into our behaviors. customs such as "manners" and "etiquette" are essentially fossils that bring very little from past centuries into our modern lives, yet we still take classes in school on where the soup spoon goes and how to hold your salad fork. its unfortunate that more people don't take the time to understand why we are the way we are, and to dissect a culture to better understand it, because that leads to the propagation of those customs mindlessly into following generations

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service