It's wonderful that we can have so many friends, that we have never met. I'm wondering what do we mean by 'friend'? What is the etiquette for friends?

What does an A|N friend mean to you? Do friends get birthday presents? :-)

There will be as many answers as there are people on A|N. I'm interested in what people have to say.

Tags: friends

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, interesting answers. I suppose there are degrees of friendship within friends. There are people on my A|N friends list who I have chatted to once and some I chat to daily. Some have migrated to my Facebook account and 1 or 2 are people I talk to offline and will meet in person when the opportunity arises. What I have noticed of the responders so far, is that I don't recognise them from the chat box. Most of my A|N friends were made there. Whilst I can get an impression of the A|Ners from posts and discussions, the real time chatting fills out their personalities and makes them more 'real' to me.

Some of the most interesting people I ever 'met', I met here, so for me a 'friend' online is as good as the 'real thing'. - Engage my mind and I'm hooked. You all know Felch, right?
I would be hesitant to hang out w/ anyone I met online. Unless it were a group of people and we were meeting in a public place.
Have you tried getting them on IM or finding a meet up?

When I first moved up here my roommate and I used forum meet ups and event announcements to meet people. Almost all of my friends up here I met due to the network the local forums created.
A lopt of people have offered definatios of "friend" here and I can't really disagree with any of them. I've been on myspace for several years and have about 6 or 7 people that I keep in regular touch with, not counting family. I would love to meet them in person but time and distance are a factor. I recently joined facebook and most of the people I "friended" there are people I've actually met, plus family. I keep getting requests frome people who went to the same university as I, but I don't remember them so.......as for the people I went to high school with.....the "Are you fucking kidding me" song says it perfectly. Most of the people I went to school with made my life miserable so...no add there.

My idea of a friend is someone who is usually like-minded, tolerant, intelligent and gentle natured. I love a dry, sharp sense of humor, but mean-spiritedness is not invited to dinner. There are several of you guys I would love to invite to my home and cook for. I think we could have a great time and conversation while enjoying the drink of choice. BYOB! Daniel, you're one of my favs. If you and your partner are ever in Oklahoma.....give me a call. I can cook vegetarian.
Somewhat because of this discussion, I finally sent out 22 invites and got back 20 confirmations. I'm still holding out hope for those two and I'm not done adding. Like gaining friends in the non-virtual world, I like to "get to know" someone before I consider them a friend. (The "have a beer with" standard sounds good to me.) "Getting to know" on a forum like this takes some time to read the person's comments and see if they share many (not all) of your own viewpoints and values. On the flip side, by waiting some time to allow all of you to "get to know" me, I wanted to share my viewpoints and values so you could make an informed decision to consider me as a friend. Thanks to all that confirmed and hopefully those that will confirm in the future.

Now, I need help moving next weekend, and I need a ride to the airport, and someone needs to look after my husky, and someone else... I'm just kidding... Have a great day!
It is a pleasure to connect with people, even in virtual mode. It is similar to having a bunch of pen-pals but everything happens faster, more conversationally, and we don't need to pay for stamps.

The friends I have here, on Facebook, and even from XBox Live are very real people to me. I have a Scrabble opponent on Facebook that I have talked to on the phone, and several gamers that I have visited for a beer while traveling. Same thing with the old AOL chatrooms; I actually dated a lady from there (and neither of us regrets it although it ended somewhat quickly).

I've never found the online friendship to be an unusual thing and every day I look forward to reading what my friends here are discussing.

Regards,
I always figured "Friend List" was another way of saying "Address Book".

Too true!!
If we had an international conference thingy, as long as you didn't speak into the collar of anyone wearing shiny shoes, you'd be fine.
Facebook almost singlehandedly turned me off of any on-line social networking. That place is a mine field, the rampant faceapp, poke, ninja, pirate... I lasted 1 week before I disabled that email-address. Personally I would much rather friend someone here, then anyone on Facebook.

Friends for me here are definitely people I would like to have a beer with, as was so nicely put by others. I should friend more people then I have, but honestly facebook has left me gun shy. However I will say there is so much less "noise" on this site, you can actually have discussions with people. It gives one a chance to get to know, what they are about. I haven't refused a friend yet, nor have I been refuted, all in all a pleasant experience.
Facebook, to me, is the greatest online invention since IRQ/AIM/etc. I keep track of the people I want to, I have some light distractions if I choose, and I have to do NOTHING if that's my preference. It's perfect for me.

I have 30 friends or so, most never intrude on my space (excusing the pun). I can easily keep tabs on a few friends, friends of friends, family, and golfing buddies....and nobody else can intrude. Perfect for the selective internet junkie. :)

Cheers,
lol I think your friends average social IQ might be higher then mine.
I'd buy a beer or a coffee for any of my A|N friends.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service