What is a favorite non-theist book of yours or what are you reading now?

I was happy to find "The Six Ways of Atheism" at my library. When I checked out this book, a young male librarian asked if I was doing a project for school (uh, it's summer time, meat head). I told him it was for my own personal self and the turned away with a disgusted look that was priceless! He didn't even say good-bye! As I walked away I told him this was a great book and that I recommend he reads it (of course I hadn't read it yet).     

My two favorites are Dan Barker's Losing Faith in Faith and David Mills' Atheist Universe.

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well. . .I haven't read the Atheist Universe, but I have read Losing Faith in Faith, which was a great read. But my absolute favorite would have to be Christopher Hitchen's God is Not Great (how religion poisons everything) I would also recommend Sam Harris' Then End of Faith, or Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. As for your "encounter" at the library, I had to laugh and then hang my head a little. Such tolerance, such love, such understanding from the common theist, lol. We need people to be more open about Atheism such as yourself. . .positive advertisment I would call it, lol.
People seem to really like God is not Great but I found it a tough read. It does look fantastic on my book shelf, though! I will surely head to Amazon tonight to look into Sam Harris' books as you and Richard below recommends. I am a wimpy atheist and will speak with a stranger about my beliefs but clam up when it is someone I know.
Currently reading (my signed copy of) The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.
when i was in 8th grade i was delighted and disgusted with one of the works of the marqui de sade, i think it was Justine. which i brought to school to finish. de sade printed some things in regard to religion and god that even i did not dare to say. such audacity in his protest against the church,etc. was such an outlet of relief to me. but a bit over the top. My born again brother did not approve, nor did the school principle Mr. Goddard, who threw me to the locker and stated something to the effect that i not bring in such a book again. The book was a long way from appropriate or great but perhaps i could have done a book report on it.
Goddard threw my harmless brother to the locker on another occasion.
but is there a great atheist book?
just plain genetics, biology books. i like dawkins but ...
Hitchens' God is not Great but someone stole it from me. liked it as far as i got. probably stolen by same person who threw away the spagetti god theory book at work.
Handmaides' tale by Margaret Atwood is good, though not atheist.
till then, i would like to support the idea of sticking a copy of scientific american over the glaring tabloids such as the national enquirer at the check out lines.

i would also advocate publishing altered endings to Joe Clicks' little LDS comic books. or at least changing all the words and leaving them at their church.
Wow, thank you, Natasha for your insight. Quite the literary scholar from the beginning! I agree though, the best books are those that help illustrate the beautiful universe that surrounds us. Just looking through pictures taken by the Hubble speaks a million words.

a little embarrassed about previous mention of de sade. sometime my bad carpentry tries to kill me and i get a bit ...

if you want any literary ref, the play by sartche The Flies in which  Orestes chooses to hold on to his lonely truth rather than the comfort of delusion. this is one in which i do recommend.

Hey there! I also loved God is Not Great, The End of Faith and The God Delusion. Two other fantastic ones I read recently are "50 reasons people give for believing in a god" by Guy P. Harrison and "Good Without God" by Greg Epstein. They were both really good, easy reads for me. I am eager to get my hands on Dan Barker's book but I live in a very religious country and atheist books are hard to find. I had to special order some books once and when it arrived I got a text from the book store that said "Dear Krista, your book God is Not Great has arrived. God Bless." I thought that was hilarious.

"Dear Krista, your book God is Not Great has arrived. God Bless."

i guess that means that they will pray for you. too funny.

I would have bought more atheist books just to get a reaction from them.
I just finished "Why We Believe in Gods" by J. Anderson Thompson, and I recommend it to everyone.  It's a quick read (about 100 pages) but it's a great book about the evolutionary drivers of religion. I have just started "The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning" by Victor Stenger. I've only just begun reading it, but so far so good. I've read many, but God is Not Great by Hitchens is probably my favorite. Without slighting Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins (I've enjoyed all of their books as well), Hitchens has a way with the English language I never seem to tire of. Of course, the book that played the biggest role in my becoming atheist was the Children's Illustrated Bible that I was given by my grandparents in elementary school...but that's not exactly a "non-theist" book.
I haven't read anything by Sam Harris yet, but see by this discussion that I must. Do your grandparents know they contributed to your atheism?
Yes they know. They are devout Christians, but we have a great relationship. Last Christmas they bought me "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris, "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins. So I guess while they unknowingly contributed to me becoming an atheist with one book, they knowingly reinforce it now. I love them so much.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service