What is a favorite non-theist book of yours or what are you reading now?

I was happy to find "The Six Ways of Atheism" at my library. When I checked out this book, a young male librarian asked if I was doing a project for school (uh, it's summer time, meat head). I told him it was for my own personal self and the turned away with a disgusted look that was priceless! He didn't even say good-bye! As I walked away I told him this was a great book and that I recommend he reads it (of course I hadn't read it yet).     

My two favorites are Dan Barker's Losing Faith in Faith and David Mills' Atheist Universe.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still waiting for David Mills to be my friend on here.    :(
Yes! Origin of Species! I call myself a Darwin fan but how can I truly be if I haven't read his book yet. Will check out the Kindle book tonight.   :)

if you do not have time to read it , Dawkins made an audiobook to it.

but it is a quick read, re-read .

Haven't really been reading much non-fiction this summer. A friend of mine loaned me his copy of  "Lamb, the gospel according to Biff." by Christopher Moore. One of the funniest books i've read in a long time. After that I've been reading as much of his work as I can find. So far I've read "Fluke" and "Practical Demon Keeping".

how about a nice movie such as

Life of Brian

Thanks, I will add to my list. ;)
or "Paul"!
I haven't really read too many atheist books, but from the ones I have read my favs are The God Delusion and The End of Faith by Sam Harris. I tried reading God is not Great, but it's just way too dry for me. It's not really a non-theist book per se, but I read and thoroughly enjoyed Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design, which offers a nice scientifc alternative for the origins of the universe to goddidit.

I'm reading Sarah Vowel's book now: "The Wordy Shipmates".  Just started it last night.  It's about the Puritan dissenters who sailed from England to NEW England in 1630 to start a new life in the new world.  Vowel is both educational and comical.  Her writing is both historical and hysterically funny.   Just finished her short story book: "Take the Cannoli", and loved it.  I'm on a roll and will be reading "Partly Cloudy Patriot" next.  Can you tell I'm hooked on her writing style??

In my small atheist collection, I own Sagan's "Demon Haunted World", Dawkins' "God Delusion", Dennett's "Breaking the Spell", and 2 books by Susan Jacoby: "Age of American Unreason" and "Freethinkers". 

Ladies: just picked up Sarah Sentille' s " Breaking up with God". If I weren' t typing this from my phone I would tell you more, but basically it is written from her standpoint as an almost Episcopal priest who decided to "divorce" god. Well-written, funny, and a love story like no other.
I've never read any atheism-centered books, I'm not sure that I would enjoy them since I don't need to further convince myself that I am an Atheist. However, I do enjoy learning about amazing reality of life and one my favorite books is on Human Evolution that I've read for a class in college. It has become an important hobby/interest of mine since then (which was two years ago or so), I always follow up on new findings. The announcement of Ardipithecus Ramidus discovery was everything I could talk about for days. All thanks to a Physical Anthropology textbook.

Right now I am passively reading a book on Physics, I suppose that's an Atheist book in some sense.
There's so many I could put here.  I like Dan Barker's "Losing Faith in Faith", Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion".  I'll have to buy that Mills' book "Atheist Universe'.  Sounds really good.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service