One of the biggest questions asked of us who have publicly announced that we are non-believers is "What if your wrong?" Here's my theory: The story goes that god forgives those that ask for it right? Or if we are truly sorry then we will be forgiven and won't go to hell. If that's the case and we're wrong, will we be forgiven by christian and catholic logic? It makes no sense to me because I can ask a "believer" the exact same question and they will dance around it or just plainly say "I'm not wrong, GOD is real and your going to hell" (Kinda rude but ok lol)... Just trying to pick a few brains here. 

P.S. I was asked this question 2 days ago and thought i'd get a few opinions. 

Views: 1298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed - to me religion = abdication of responsibility. If things go well he/she gets credit and if they go badly, I am being tested. What a great gig! Talk about win win for the god thing.

If the heavens opened and god spake unto me and saith: "Jer, you're gonna die in five minutes.  If you return to the faith you were taught as a child, you can spend eternity with me in heaven.  If not, you take your chances.  What'll it be?" I'd have to saith right back "Thanks for the offer, but I couldn't claim to accept all that and not throw up.  I'll take my chances.  Most likely, it'll be over.  Next best, I can spend eternity (you do realize that's far too long?) with the people like me.  That would have its points."

Break off from the mold
I agree

It's a good question. No-one can absolutely prove or disprove religious claims, so for me it's a case of what is most likely to be true given the information and evidence available. And I might still be wrong after I've looked at all that.

If I'm wrong about Odin, but happen to die fighting a mugger, I'll end up in valhalla. Or I'll end up in hel if I die of old age.

If I'm wrong about Zeus but have lived a good life, I'll still go to the elysium fields.

If I'm wrong about christian baptism not being required to get into heaven, I'll join all the christians who were also wrong on that subject in hell.

Whether any gods exist or what religion is correct should be based on the evidence and reasoning, not merely picking a currently popular religion which has the worst consequences for unbelief.

Cool

I would reply that it is unlikely that I am wrong, but in the event that I am when I get to meet god I will have a list of some really tough questions for him/her/whatever.

Very nice and so will I

I don't think we're wrong.

But here's my take on it. I don't believe in god. I just don't. If there's a punishment for that then I'm going to be punished. If that really is the case then I don't see a way around it.

I could go to church, spend hours reciting scripture, clasp my hands every night shut my eyes and say prayers, and I could do this all in the off chance that I just might be wrong and maybe, just maybe there is some higher being watching me do it all. The fact is, even if I did all that, it would be a complete lie.
 I don't believe in god. If god is as omnipotent and all knowing as everyone claims, then he / she / it, would know it's a lie and I'll be punished being a non-believer.

There's simply no point in pretending to believe in something I don't. That's the answer I give to Christians when asked this question.

Clearly I'm not worried about it. It's the same reason I don't take precautions on the off chance that Peter Pan is going to fly in through my kid's window and take him to Never Never Land.

Brilliant response my friend. I love Peter pan though :)

lol, me too Shavante!

LOL nice

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service