Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I have. I will be immortal. I will travel in the far reaches of the universe and beyond. I will be god.
I could do without living forever. It darn near drove Lazarus Long nuts ... and I think Jubal Harshaw had it right when he said that "Going to the showers is the best part of the game."
Couldn't agree more-especially if it were quantum immortality, where you'd keep getting more and more mangled and miserable, yet never die....truly the most atrocious torture I could imagine!
I think the question was intended to inquire as to the point of a "life" if there will be an "after life". I mean, why not just cut out the middle man? This never made any sense to me as it is. The sheep would say God is testing "our" faith but, if "God' is this omnipotent, omnipresent super magician who can "design" it's play toys any way it likes, why not just make them subservient drones without the ability to even ponder if it exists or not? If it is doing it to find out whether "we" will obey or not then it is not "omni" anything, and if it is omniscient and knows which ants in the ant farm will rebel because God won't reveal it's self, then God is nothing more then a sadistic ass. Either way worship is not warranted.
I think that if there were a god, then it really doesn't matter what or who that god is.

The rules of nature don't apply anymore, so everything is turned upside down. I might as well jump off a building, because it seems the possibility I would fly, or fall up, just got a lot better.
That is a good point. I think it would help the case for religion if people who believed stopped dying. The dying to get eternal life probably has to do with proving yourself worthy to god in the first life. I don't think it makes any sense at all. If this god is supposed to be all powerful and all loving just put us in your heaven and be done with it.
That's a very good point! It would help if it was also recorded in the Bible, too. But a Godly appearance now and then wouldn't hurt either.
To me heaven sounds boring.Sitting around for eternity "praising" god(however you do that)and smiling at Jesus and a few angels.To me that sounds hellish.That's my understanding what the Christian heaven is.I think Muslems have more fun(at least the men).Don't they get some virgins?(what to do with virgins when neither you nor they have bodies)???
Another aspect of the Muslim heaven is where do they find 70 virgins for every man? In addition, since these virgins are to be there for carnal pleasure, how can this equate with an acceptable Muslim in the eyes of their God? Do you go there to have fun with infidels? Lots of questions about that Muslim pie-in-the-sky
Hell....Who wants to have sex with a virgin anyway? Will they be trained up before hand? with what? Sex with a virgin is really not all its cracked up to be. I'm not sure but I don't think the Bible says anything about people going to Heaven. If I am right post Rapture life takes place on Earth under the watchful eye of the deity,(who resides in Heaven) with the son/deity ruling over the flock, and I assume, The holy ghost standing over the sheep with a really big stick. A sort of Pax-Heavana, where peace is only available for those who bow and scrape to satisfaction. Sounds more like North Korea than Heaven to me.
I wonder if this is what the Virgins will look like?
Attachments:
Before you even ask if there's a god you have to define what you mean by "god"? What attributes does the god have? You already mentioned that the god you're dreaming up is "judgemental" but how do you know this? The truth is you don't because you're making up, what you hope is a hypothetical god who is ambiguous enough so that he can't be analyzed. The moment you add attributes we can use logic and reasoning to decide just how reasonable it is to believe that this god you made up for discussion purposes actually exists. Tell us a little bit more about this god you'd like to discuss and I'll be happy to show you how silly and unrealistic it is to even try to dream one up.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service