Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1909

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree - the word "Faith" gets mistakenly eschewed by atheists, as belonging to the religious faithful. Not so.

Belief in the irrational - in things unseen - is actually what most atheists rightfully argue against and detest.

As atheists, most of us have 'faith' in the idea that science can answer any question, given the time and the technology. And we have faith in our evolving technology, to meet our needs.
Thing is, there's "faith" with substance behind it and "faith" with NO substance ... and the word itself has been so overused in the second instance that I refuse to use it in reference to my own subscription to the discipline of science.
Yes, that is why so many arguments eventually boil down to semantics. If we were all able to agree on the exact definitions of words, much heated debate would simply evaporate.

It kinda reminds me of this quote I just saw posted on another forum:

Some discoveries provide answers to questions. Other discoveries are so deep that they cast questions in a whole new light, showing that previous mysteries were misperceived through lack of knowledge. You could spend a lifetime wondering what happens when you reach earth’s edge but when you learn that the earth is round, you see that the previous mysteries are not solved; instead they are rendered irrelevant. - Brian Greene
There is a lot of irony in your 1st 2 sentences here.
"Since gods don't exist why even ponder the question. ... What is an atheist doing pondering a question which is contradictory to their viewpoint?

Because pondering questions contradictory to our viewpoint is precisely how most of us came to that viewpoint in the first place. It's what separates us from those who will accept a belief without question or validation.
Perfectly said Jo Jerome...

Katalyzt
Thanks Katalyzt. Besides, I find that applying serious examination to what appears to be a ridiculous hypothesis ... well ... often not-so-shockingly results in overwhelming evidence that said hypothesis is indeed ridiculous. But it also often leads to other theories and puzzles we hadn't pondered before.
This is my first Nexus post. I've just been reading for a few days. I've felt such relief to have found this site.

I really appreciate your reply. I am so weary of people telling me what I must believe. That's why I've made my way here.

-Tru
very well said...
many of us (non-theists) tend to assert our own opinions as pure fact, and yet we mock those that we disagree with (as i do with anyone opposed to evolution)...
we HAVE to be carefull that we dont become the very ignorance and intolerance we are trying to prevent from spreading...
-cheers
I assume you believe in logic. Part of the process of doing logic is considering all logical possibilities. How would someone know or prove that something is not logical if they did not consider it? That is what rationalism and reason are all about. I thought logic & reason were virtues around here.
RealityActivist has it in a nutshell...Why be-devil yourself with religious conundrums that simply disappear when you suspend all belief?

The "catch" in Christianity is drawing you into this foolishness with promises of pie in the sky and why you are not elegible for a slice.

We are all human and subject to the "failures and follies" of mankind that are in reality instinctive response to conditions.

If some mother steals food to feed her children, this is not a sin...this is natural. Watch a pack of lions as they feed on a fresh kill and see the weaker females darting in and stealing meat right from the jaws of the males.

We aspire to civilization, we are not civilized. A lot of the crime and "sin" in society is a function of a failure in that society to provide.
"Since Gods don't exist, why even ponder the question"

"The faithful don't think..."

Does anyone see the irony here?

Edited to say. I guess they did..lol!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service