Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all I personally feel that there almost certainly no god. Assuming for a moment that there was a possibility that one exists; This God is MOST definitely NOT the Abrahamic god as each of the three main religions and all of their off shoots clearly no nothing of this god his nature or his desires, if he has any at all. So If I met him/her/it? I should have nothing to fear whatsoever as a being capable of creating the universe and all in could not possibly be hateful, vengeful or spiteful. As long as we are dealing in fairy tales....he tasks me with being in charge of the former playboy playmate wing in heaven and we both ride off on rainbow colored unicorns made of cotton candy.
I don't mind hypothetical questions, even if they do question a non-existent circumstance.

If I was standing face to face with something that refers to itself as god, and possesed "godly" capabilities, I would recognise it as another life form... albeit, incredibly advanced, but a life form never-the-less.

If that life form happened to be responsible for the insertion of the seeds of life, then I would recognise it as an advanced life form with a thirst for biological experimentation.

I would then ask what the basis of the biological experiment was, what the hypothesis was, if the results match the hypothesis...
... but I would still not recognise it as a god.

If the life form demands I refer to it as the Christian definition of god, and threatens punishment for me treating it as an equal, then it's benevolent, dangerous, and not to be trusted. As such, I would have to denounce it out of a matter of principle.

Quite frankly though, I can't see any way the Christian concept of god exists.
Nor any other religions definition of god.

The real problem with this question is, nobody has defined what "god" is supposed to be.
Very well put, and I, too, wonder what the true definition of god is supposed to be. Perhaps I am confused or didn't read properly, but did you malevolent rather than benevolent?
Yes, sorry, malevolent.
There are many similar hypotheticals I like to ponder.

Things like "If I was god who would I condemn to eternal torture?" or more mundane "If I could travel back in time what changes could I make to history or what information could I give to make the world better"

I once asked a bunch of fundamentalist Christians if they thought they would still be Christians if they had been born into Muslim families and brought up in the Muslim faith. Most of them just had brain attacks thinking about the possibilities, those who could not think just answered that it was a stupid question , not one of them admitted that had they been brought up to believe something different perhaps they would have a different belief.
What I am having trouble understanding is this idea that after death a person will be required to go before God or someone and answer for anything he may have done when living.

Where did this idea come from?
I can't fathom any God capable of creating something as vast as the universe being even remotely interested in the well being of humans. Any entity with that kind of power would be so complex that we would be as meaningful to it as an ant.
The only reason I question this particular train of thought(it's a thinking exercise I know), is that regardless of how big and vast the universe is..we can actually figure it out.

Anything that created this universe, would possibly be rather interested in a creature that came out of it(us) that could figure it out.

In other words, if there is a "thing" behind it all, I don't think that humans..would be as meaningless as an ant. That's not wishful thinking(If I was wishful, I'd have "faith). Its just a conclusion I've drawn, from the very fact..that we..tiny, insignificant little humans..can actually figure out and understand this great expanse of space.

Would YOU be curious and interested in your own creation, if that creation can figure you out?
If he could see everything in the universe all at once and know when " every bird fell from the sky" his brain would be as big as the universe. Heyyyyyyyyyyyy God is everything! I knew that.
Interesting question.

I sometimes ponder the what if's. If there is a God..what could it be, what could our lives be about(if anything) and what would I say to this God?

Well firstly...me and God..we're gonna have words. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING??? would come to mind :P

Honestly though, my views on what God could possibly be(yes I've thought about it), are so far removed from the reward and punishment views of God, that I think I would just genuinely be curious. I'd also probably fall off my proverbial chair and be completely delighted by the fact that I was wrong. Then..I'd just want to drill all celestial beings on the nature of reality.

There is a huge amount of cultural influence that is at play in our lives, and whenever people think about "god" athiest or believer alike it is alway's in their minds that this is a God that requires faith and if not, you will be punished.

The God of Traditional christianity doesn't exist, because that God is simply too small. When I think of what "might" happen, I think of what I'd like to know. I don't think of what "god" would do to me. I've already negated all of that as illogical, irrational and completely ridiculous in terms of a loving God.

I think, after being blow away by an actual existance beyond this material reality, I'd be filled with curiosity.

Cheers
Dame
"What I am having trouble understanding is this idea that after death a person will be required to go before God or someone and answer for anything he may have done when living.

Where did this idea come from?"

Like the rest of the abuser-god persona, it's another control element. No matter how much you might put God to the test and the test shows no God, you can tell someone, "God will punish you in the afterlife."
It's extortion perfected. They can bully people into doing what they want and they don't need to do a thing. How many of us still have the irrational fear of hell in the back of our minds?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service