Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An atheist doesn't have to deny God outright. An atheist can declare there is no reason to believe in a God (or anything supernatural) who provides no evidence for his existence.

A theistic God is more far-fetched than a deistic God. A disinterested cosmic Creator is one thing but a personal cosmic Creator who meddles in human affairs (performs miracles or answers prayers) is entirely something else.

If there were a deistic God, I don't think it would make any difference for us. If there were a theistic God, such as the Abrahamic God, then we're probably in deep doodoo.

I personally believe a theistic God is logically ruled out. A deistic, cosmic Creator God is not far behind . . . but I don't rule him out absolutely. The biggest reason for this is the question of the origin of the universe. However, current scientific consensus states that the universe probably arose from nothing: that the total energy in the universe is exactly zero. This makes a Creator God even less likely and certainly unnecessary. Nonetheless, if the universe had a beginning (as opposed to having always, infinitely, existed), then everything came from nothing. That's supernatural to me, zero energy or not.

This single consideration leaves the door open, in my mind, to the possibility of God. But such a God couldn't care less about sin and punishment.
What if there isn't a god? What if there isn't a Santa Clause? What if there isn't a Tooth Fairy? What if there isn't life after death? What if you aren't reincarnated? What if...?

OMGWTF is it possible that there may be no god(s), Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, life after death, or Reincarnation?

Then what? You'd have to make the best of what you have here today.
Which, the last I looked [he checks again, just to be sure ... YUP!] is what I'm doin'!
And by doing that your are just living life.
[He checks again ... DAMN!] Yeah I am ... how 'bout that?!?
Damn it, without any intermediary?

Why don't others live live without an intermediary?
Why would I walk with a crutch when I have two good legs?
If there was a God presumable it would be smarter than us so it would probably say to an atheist "Well done! At least you don't believe things without a reason to. Now, how about a ride on a unicorn?"
I like that Armand.

And I'll totally take that ride on the unicorn!
Define "god" and then you'll be able to think more clearly about whether such a thing is likely or even possible.
Which definition of God?

A creator of the universe? OK, cool. I'd want to know the physics of the deity's realm that made it possible to create universes.

Giver of moral laws? Not so interesting to me. Why would I accept the desires of this deity over my own? Why would I consider the deity's moral values as superior to those that value humans?

A punisher for unbelievers? Again, not so interesting to me. I don't see it as valid to submit to tyranny simply because the tyrant is powerful.

A moral judge? I have thought through my moral values enough that I think I'd be able to explain why I believe the way I do. And if the deity disagrees, I'd like to hear the opposing moral arguments.

First cause? Way too vague to be meaningful past this. Any personality? Unique?

So, yes, I have pondered the possibility. But I do not believe it is reality. I have also pondered the possibility of unicorns, but I don't believe in them (I like sci-fi/fantasy). I also consider the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe (which I believe is likely), the non-existence of the Higgs boson (which I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist), the possibility that dark matter can be explained away by a different law of gravity (hard to keep consistent with known data), etc.
No one is for sure a 1 of 7 test I would be about a 6.3 because if there is a god it does not know of my existence there for it does not care and if that is the case then the correct point is to be an atheist,I personally do not believe in any god all I believe is that there is space and chemical reactions occur, though if atheists don't become militant just maybe there will be peace

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Meri Weathers liked Patricia's discussion Very Ancient Sharks Teeth Found
7 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W's group Food!
13 minutes ago
abdulrahman aliyu posted a group
20 minutes ago
Profile IconWanda, Cairsley, Robert Ray and 2 more joined Atheist Nexus
21 minutes ago
Randall Smith replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In 40 years wild vertebrates halved in the group Wildlife
31 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
2 hours ago
Jennie updated their profile
2 hours ago
Jennie posted a photo
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin posted discussions
2 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon liked Ivy's group Atheist Humor
3 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon posted a status
"giving my daughter breakfast :)"
4 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon updated their profile
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service