Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

*tears of laughter* (((((blue sweater))))) Right.

"Dear god, to the extent that it will not tweak your Master Plan or, in any other way, take your mind off of controlling and noting the position of every tiny atom at any given time, could you retroactively make sure the manufacturers of this particular sweater made some in that blue I love so much and that this store bought some and have at least one in my size!"
"Please let that fabulous sweater come in blue?" That's hilarious! I wonder if the child sweat-shop workers would agree...
Sorry - blue is out of stock until November, 2077. We do however have puce, pomegranate, mauve, and peach....
I have actually thought about this one at times. What if there really was a god?

Well, for most of the gods out there, my unbelief wouldn't much matter, and most theist myths do not reward the faithful for their faith in the supposed afterlife. But, for the ones that do matter: the big three Western monotheist religions, this question become more poignant.

If the Western Monotheist God were to actually exist, and if the typical scenario were to occur following my death, then my reactions would be as follows:

First: Huh? No WAY! This simply can't be happening. No way can this nonsensical, contradictory, irrational bunch of dogma actually be true. If this is really happening, how do you explain so many of the completely inexplicable implications of this theistic nonsense vis a vis scientific knowledge and basic logic? Okay, well then, I guess black is white and up is down. Whatever. Fire away, your majesty... at this point, I'll believe anything.

Second: So, you are going to condemn me for nonbelief in you? Ummmm... since you ARE apparently true, and since you ARE apparently omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent, then how can you condemn me for not believing in you when you gave me absolutely NO reason to believe in you and I was using the rationality with which I was endowed to determine the most probably, approximately true knowledge in life. If you are going to condemn me for not believing in completely implausible myths when I apparently had no ability to do otherwise (your omniscience and omnipotence), then clearly you really are a sick bastard. (BTW, if there is a God who is truly omnipotent, then He can do anything He wants and have it be good, because if you are really ALL-powerful, then the words "no", "can't", and "impossible" simply are not applicable to you...).

Third: So, am I going to hell, then? Is it like the Hell that Hieronymous Bosch illustrated in the Triptych "Garden of Earthly Delights"? Because, that would be a very cool place to go - a lot more fun than the bland, boring heaven depicted. Or, is this to be a true hell of torment? Ummm... why? Why does an all-powerful god need to torment someone for all eternity? What does that accomplish? Is that the only way you can accomplish your goals? Is it the best way? Why?

In short, I would not regret being wrong even if I were to be wrong. You see, I would be wrong, in that scenario, for all the right reasons, where, otherwise, I would have been right for all the wrong reasons...
Yer evil, Larry ... EVIL! [wry chuckle!]
Why does an all-powerful god need to torment someone for all eternity? What does that accomplish? Is that the only way you can accomplish your goals? Is it the best way? Why?

Good question. And good question to ask the next Theist I run across.
I would tell it look at all the made up gods they weren't even close. ;)
First, even if god or gods exist, that does not automatically mean there is any type of an afterlife. If there is an afterlife where we would meet up with any type of a god, that does not mean that that god would be concerned about what we did or thought.

I think that the things you were taught during your youth are still lurking around in your head and causing you to doubt yourself. I would suggest continuing to investigate those doubts; I am confident a thorough, logical investigation will alleviate your doubts and reassure you.

In answer to your question, I guess if I were actually faced with your improbable scenario, I would reply the same way Det. Deitrich (Atheist from Barney Miller) told Wojo he would reply met god in the afterlife--"Oops."
I would say that if there is a God who passes Judgement as long as I have lived a decent and good life according to my moral views and as long as I can justify why the life I lived were right then I will be fine.

Now about the Christian God. If he exists I would ask God(when I die, ofcourse) as to why he rewards belief over deed? Why is disobeying him a sin? Why are we guilty of a 'sin' that someone committed thousands of years ago? Also I would ask him to justify all his acts like killing all the first borns in Egypt, the sacrifice of himself(Jesus) to himself as a solution to original sin which is laughable absurd. Also his logic in punishing us that is clearly his mistake. I mean if he wanted us to obey and not question then why give us a brain? He is clearly at fault and I see no way that we should be held liable for his mistales. I'll tell him all that and see what he says. I'll also say to him that a God who does all these things is immoral and unfit of even admiration let alone worship.
It doesn't worry me. A god or gods existing would in no way diminish the beauty and complexity of the universe, but to me it would make it a little colder. The existence of god(s) would mean that I would have to reconcile their presence with their seeming apathy and/or cruelty.
To reply to the OT; I have strong disbelief in the existence of any god, but even if there should turn out to be one, I feel I have a better chance of going to "heaven" or whatever than most xtians, simply because I chose my own path and go with what I think of as right, rather than blindly follow a bunch of ideals jotted down a long time ago.
Not only do I think, I also feel. Not for some connection with god, but to get a reading of my subconscious- it may know more than my conscious on its own. Hence, I trust I live my life significantly better than most xtians and perhaps even better than most people in general, for many rely almost entirely on only one of the two.

Should I be punished, still, I would feel it would not be a god worthy of worship in any way or form anyway.
Whichever the outcome, it would certainly be interesting to have a conversation with it.

I do not, however, think (dare I say it, think to know) there is anything beyond death. Presumably, consciousness will simply fade as if falling into a dreamless sleep never to wake up from. With this in mind, I am interested in having myself cryogenically frozen (or by some other means suspended in time) for some hundred, two hundred, five hundred or even a thousand years, if only to see what things will be like, then. Curiosity killed the cat, I know, but I would be willing to take my chances.
Exactly Methis. If on the impossible chance that there is a sentient being in charge of putting my soul somewhere postmortem, I would hope I'm judged on the content of my character and actions and not whether or not I believed in it or got its name right.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service