Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I declared myself officially an Atheist on my 18th birthday after reading copiously on the subject of Theology, I also indeed considered this, and came to the conclusion that I would just declare, "Oh, darnit, I was wrong. Oopsies!" just like any other mistake, composing an elaborate apology epistle, which would go something like "Sowwy D:".
Fear is the thing that comes to my mind, when it comes to understanding their way of thinking. Irrational, illogical and unreasonable fear.

Mr. CD
Punish me? Punish me?!?! Compared to the "almighty" the very worst of us are nothing but amateurs.
Simple answer from me. If there is a god, we never exist.
A series of threats, combined with the usual promises of rewards from the Big Friend in the Sky for those who knuckle under to the threats, buried in a cave (or something) for umpty-up years. The threats are poetical in their way, but how exactly are they more compelling than the threats in the Koran, or the threats of the Mithras-worshippers or any of the lost ultimatums from ten thousand defunct religions?
Sharon,
it sounds like you subscribe to a version of Pascal's Wager as an argument for the possible existence of a deity. This argument was presented to me by my religious sister who asked how I could take the chance that I was wrong in my disbelief in God. My answer might help you stop worrying.

I don't think I am the one taking a chance by not believing.
My sister has to hope for two things.
First that she has chosen the right religion, which is impossible for her to know. She would have to research every religion that has ever existed, including more than 2000 separate Christian religions.
Second she would have to hope that any deity that exists prefers dishonest belief to honest skepticism. Anyone believing in a deity just to be safe is being dishonest in their belief. My beliefs are based on careful examination of available evidence.
Good points.
I like the way Homer Simpson once put it: "What if we picked the wrong religion? We could just be making God madder and madder."
If there were a god, I would say to them, "I tell you the truth: I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers."
Danny, What if there are woodland sprites? Have you ever really thought about the implications of that? Doesn't it cross your mind that woodland sprites might be running around in the woods or wherever? And what would you say to them? Would you ask the sprites if they believe in God?

Needless to say, if there is a God, he or she is an incompetent idiot, unworthy of praise or worship. God is a total failure in just about everything. His success rate is exactly that of random chance. If something happens to you when you die you would never ever be able to know it until you died. If God's only test for our salvation is blind belief then I shall quote Sarah Palin (for the first and last time): " Thanks but no thanks for the bridge to nowhere!"
God - His success rate is exactly that of random chance.

Nice. Should be on a bumper sticker.
I would be extremely horrified by the existence of a god or gods, as they are not doing a very good job, to say the least. They, He, She, or It obviously have/has no regard for human suffering at all. Many in Western societies like ours-spoiled to the core with technological wonders and technical advancements-find it easy to delude themselves into both believing at some level that our comfort is somehow indicative of a more widespread comfort, and/or that we are somehow deserving of all of the blessings that every shred of objective evidence has pointed only to chance and Fortune as progenitors. Even in their own holy books this nightmarish monster is a capriciously malevolent, vengeful, and sadistic lunatic. Were this freak to exist I would have to inquire as to in which direction the Devil were, given His treatment of his own supposedly Chosen People I would rather take a chance with the so-called Prince of Darkness than with a psychotic Dictator-as at least (or so I am told) the Devil's behavior is consistently depraved and predictable. Far less anxiety would follow his presence in my opinion than a deity who blesses sycophants , no matter their behavior, and smites the honest, no matter theirs. Just a thought.
Extremely, extremely well-put thought Allen. One of the best arguments I've heard against the existence of a god who answers our prayers like, "Please let that fabulous sweater come in blue..."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service