Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If that's the case, I know a bunch of Christers who are going to need a LOT of remedial education!!!
Excellent. There are over 4,200 formal definitions and most EXCLUDE the others. This word has to be the most useless word in the dictionary. Everyone is so SURE of what it means to them (not really) and even more certain of what it doesn't mean.

Look - why use it when it usually does mean: a being, separate from the universe it created for its whim that can be petitioned to alter outcomes by individuals, and that, at the end of the day, wants to be worshipped for eternity OR ESLE! AND, on top of all that silliness is the idea that the universe is all about this god and human beings. Eh.
I say, so what if there was a GOD. There are so many to choose from with just as many view points of how that god wants us to live our lives. If there was a God that planned on judging us, then he should have been more clear to it's prescence. Sheep hearders from 2-3K years ago don't have much credibility to tell me who or how to worship. Humans have the need to feel special and in creating a god to put the at the pennacle of existence, they have done so.
Sheep hearders from 2-3K years ago don't have much credibility to tell me who or how to worship.

Well said!

Like I say, if there were a god, I imagine he/she/it/they/we would be far more impressed with the hu-mans who spent their lives in scientific pursuit and behaving morally because it's the right thing to do rather than out of fear of punishment.

Then again, I imagine if there was something sentient behind the creation of the universe, you and I would hardly be more significant than the tiniest specks of dust.
Who gives a crap. Even if one existed - to say that means he wants to talk with a disembodied YOU (which is meaningless - where is the soul?) is really taking it to a whole other level. If there is a god - which there likely isn't - why the heck would he then want to talk to us?
I have a lot of sympathy for your comments. It's only reasonable that your feelings of loss would arise every so often after years of being told that a god exists and that he cares about you. My upbringing was opposite, strictly secular, so I never entertain thoughts like that. For me the concept of god seems weird and feels funny.

I imagine you have come to rejecting god for good reasons and you need to keep revisiting those. It's hard when societies are full of god messages - Christmas, Easter and so on. That makes Atheist Nexus valuable. Perhaps you should give yourself permission to enjoy sermons, church singing as a "cultural Christian" (Richard Dawkins declares himself one as well) without signing up the belief in god. No need to become angry, hard, or cynical. Alex
It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react?
That he's letting me into heaven anyway, because otherwise he's the kind of douchebag who'd lie to a four-year old.
six finger dealers would want you to fear even thinking there is no god
?
"Six Finger Dealers?" That's a new one on me!
The only one and true god is man himself for the fact he can and has created god in his own image. He created the stories in the bible. He invented Mohammad the Mad, the Koran, the Hindu religion, witchcraft and everything else in his imagination convincing billions of people that there is a god. Now that is either the biggest con or the biggest hoax or the biggest lie or all three, but if anyone who accepts this con or hoax or lie is a pawn in the bigger scheme of things since these hoaxsters have pulled it off successfully (and we see that they have), they can go on and pull off even greater things which proves they are the only gods because there will always be some fool enough to follow the leader if it sounds to good to be true.
Thanks,

I'm going to push the "Stop Following" this thread.
If there is a god, it is either a god that is impotent (in which case there is no reason I should worship it) or does not care about us (in which case there is no reason I should worship it) or it actively seeks to hurt humans (in which case there is no reason I should not despise it).

If any existing "god" character turned out to be real, I like to think I would tell it in very rude terms what it could do with its demand for servitude. Zeus? Rapist, murderer, treated mortals like toys. Yahweh? Liar, manipulator, genocidal warmonger. Muhammed? Paedophile, misogynist, liar. Buddha? Okay, I don't think he never asked to be worshipped, but I still think the ideal of self-denial and its accompanying reincarnation mysticism are demeaning and emotionally unhealthy, so he can still bite me. And L. Ron Hubbard was a frickin' horrible author, to start with.

It's always the same story. Not a single one of these creatures is worthy of human worship. Humans are, for all their flaws and all their potential wickedness, amazing and wonderful creatures who deserve better than the petty man-child gods they create for themselves. I like to think that's exactly what I'd say to a "real" god.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service