Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I mean, why do you think there are so many Reader's Digests in your doctor's office? Erections of course! Take one home, he won't mind, thats what they are there for.
You've got a point there as some one asked me the same thing and my reply was "If there is one, in which I doubt, then I am sure I would be judged that I sacrificed most of my life and money to helping the oppressed and the less fortunate. I worked in the Civil Rights Movement most of my life and love all living things and the civil rights of all humans. So that might be taken in consideration. However if there is a god I just can not accept in even the most iota of thought that there is a devil as it smacks of fairies and boogeyman's. But the idea of god whom has power over life and death would let people beat up and kills gays, rape women, molest children, cause famines, floods, earthquakes, blizzards, war, disease and all of the other terrible things committed to the human race has me in doubt of such a being rather a spirit or as the Hitteon Faith describes as "everything we see, feel, touch and hear is but the illusion of the creator god in which we are it." That might make more sense than anything else to me; a being who is totally alone who day dreams and it/he/she begins to believe its fantasy is real and therefore it is real in its sight. Sort of like an insane being left all alone in the universe with no hope of there ever being another like it, creates from its day dreams a universe that does not really exist except in its own mind and it is you and me that is the real being, but we imagine that the other is really an illusion. Therefore since we are this lone being we can imagine anything we wish and it will manifest its self for us. We do not need much money to live on, yet we have everything we want and power beyond the greatest power possible and with this power we can control others. I joined the Hitteons back in the early seventies after quitting the Mormon church and rose through their priesthoods and there was some truth in what they taught. So I can understand your wondering.
Hi Danny ,one more thing i wanna add is that we are living lives of humans ;with a sense of humanity, and don't worry that if people don't believe in god ,still then there wont be any barbarism in the world ,till humanity is alive ...which is the an important thing which is running the reaction(life on earth and nature's balance). ..........go to my discussion...why do we exist ? it will answer a few of your questions.
Religions were developed only to stop people from becoming barbaric in pursue of materiality.A fear of unknown.
Dinkar
Bibo, ergo sum! I DRINK, therefore I am! [chuckle!]
Ummmm ... so you could stop BEING?!? DUDE!!!
Check your mirror
I would take H.L. Mencken's approach when asked this question and was standing before god. Mencken said he would say, "Sir, I was wrong."

That said, the probability is so low, that the question is hardly worth consideration. I would prefer to turn the question around and ask, "why do you waste even a small portion of your precious life contemplating such a pointless and meaningless question?" I certainly wasted enough time on this question years ago. No longer.

I am a strong agnostic using the Dawkins 7 point scale (about 6.7). Yes, there is always some degree of uncertainty, but some things are more certain than others. As Stephen J. Gould said, "I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."

I apologize for any repetition in this post. I haven't read all the comments, so it is likely that others have already said much the same thing.
You are so right Larry.
On Dawkins' 7-point scale I said at once, when I first read Dawkins' comment, that I am a 7.0 even if Richard Dawkins is not.
Terry.
Terry, if some of us nasty scientists and engineers hedge a tenth or so, it's because we don't know it all and we know we don't. I wrote on another board some time back that I could even tolerate miracles ... IF THERE WERE SUBJECT TO SOME PROVABLE SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLE. Maybe we ain't discovered that principle yet ... and maybe I'm worried about something that simply won't happen. Point is I don't know and I won't assume.

Barring THAT possibility, yeah, I'm a 7.
Despite your cautious comments,
hedging a tenth or so below 7 is simply too much for me.
The farthest that I would shift from a 7 in accepting the highly remote possibility that there is something supernatural behind it all would be to plump for
Good grief! Someone break out the scientific notation! [grin]
Hi Loren
Here's why I see that the possibility of something supernatural being out there somewhere is so remote:

On another thread--which I'll look up and add below--were discussions about pre-Big Bang possibilities that make use of known physics.

The consequence of using quantum theoretical physics to explain the postulated timeless quantum void which is an alternative to the present universe could intimate that a universe is always present because of the implied instability of any pre-Big Bang void or empty universe.
For this see the discussions at
www.atheistnexus.org/group/originsuniverselifehumankindanddarwin/fo...

This includes a video film by Lawrence Kraus about a possible theoretical origin for the universe.

The short of it is that the present Universe could have come from a kind of “unstable quantum void” via a purely natural mechanism for the transition 'empty Universe' to 'non-empty Universe'.
That is to say, the Universe was self-created, instantaneously and uncaused, from an unstable timeless void or false vacuum having the property that incipient, virtual particles were omnipresent.

Hence there are two possibilities: either one has an unstable void or one has its alter ego the Universe.

But this logic means that universes in real time are all there can be, because their absence would imply an unstable state of the void that cannot exist in time.

Thus, our Universe simply is . . . because at least one universe is necessarily always present. If not, there would be a void instead—but a void being truly unstable, a universe would instantly replace it. By this reasoning, a Universe–or universes—must be, and always were, and always will be.
So these theoretical cosmologists conclude that because time cannot exist prior to universes, universes cannot have any first cause.
Without a first cause, there is no origin, no creation.
Therefore postulations of the supernatural are superfluous—needless, worthless...

... and what I say next is something I have written very many times:

Atheism is the natural condition of the Universe into which we are all born and where we innocently live unless cerebrally raped by indoctrination into some ‘faith’ by intellectually-challenged persuaders who prey mostly on children. People’s gods exist only as fictions inside their heads. Religion is a sham.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service