Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, if YOU can avoid seeing that horse's patoot, yer a better man than I am, Charlie Brown!
I NEVER see Pat Robertson...no TV...no radio to hear him.

Mind corruption comes through a gate YOU leave open.
Oh, Pat ain't SO bad ... that is,IF you have a barf bag handy for afterward!

He's fun, too ... 'cuz you don't have to pull down his pants to expose his stupidity ... he does it FOR YOU!
Well, the one on the right was on the left
And the one in the middle was on the right
And the one on the left was in the middle
And the guy in the rear ... became a Druid!
Does the question for this discussion have any meaning at all? It sounds like a meaningless question.

YES. Among its many purposes:

- It has shown that there are Atheists just as threatened/scared by such a question as a Theist would be by the question, "What if there isn't a god?" Our only hope for a rational society is to get people to have the guts to ask the question, "What if X?" regardless of how much their world and sources of information tell them that X is impossible.

- In this case, yes, the idea of X (existence of god) is increasingly less likely the more we examine it. But billions of people on this planet, the majority of our societies, do believe there is a god. So for that, it's worth examining, "What is the nature of this thing so many people believe?" Consider if a majority still believed the Earth is flat. By asking and examining, "What would be the nature of a flat Earth?" We can even further point out the impossibilities of such a notion. Much better than simply crossing our arms and saying, "It's not true so there." We Atheists are all about evidence. Why so threatened by the quest for evidence?

- Because god(s) is a man-made concept and such a powerful and influential one, examining the nature of god(s), we can learn a lot about ourselves. What natural laws is god(s) subject to? Why does it do this? Why doesn't it do that? And along those lines, "If it existed and you could meet it, what would you say? What do you think it would say?"

I really, seriously fail to see why this question is such a threat to so many. If you don't want to play along, find another thread. Is that so hard?
Wow Larry, paranoid much?

Yes, I'm quite aware that "what if there is a god" is a common Theist's argument and I understand it is in most people's nature not to address the question but whatever intent you look for behind the question. If this were anything but an Atheists-only forum I think your suspicion would be well placed.

But this is an Atheists-only site, so I'm going to give Danny and most of the rest of the folks here the benefit of the doubt and assume the original question was asked in all honesty as an imaginary hypothetical. Just like when my friends and I get together to watch some scifi show and go on for hours about "What if we were vampires? What if we were the lone humans lost in another universe? What if we time traveled to the past or the future?"

Generally, we can do that without one or two paranoid people getting their panties in a twist because vampires aren't real. We're bright enough to know that. But we're also bright enough to know that there are very real cultural elements that have given rise to the legends of vampires and in examining this make-believe hypothetical we learn something about society, philosophy, and ancient culture.

Just like examining "What if there is a god" can be both fun and philosophically useful in a world where billions literally do believe, even if you and I know better.

As to who am I to jump on someone else's thread and say, "Hey guys, let's stop flaming the guy and address the topic at hand," ... umm, ... because I'm not aware that's against site rules and I know at least one moderator here who is grateful they don't have to be the heavy all the time.

Finally, let me get this straight: Asking questions, even impossible ones, because I don't fear the answer, makes me a Theist-at-Heart? Really? Then might I suggest you bring my comments to the attention of the site admins and ask them to kick me off.

And don't forget to have them boot every member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Atheists group. Because obviously our discussing the nature and morality and motives of space aliens and monsters can only mean that we literally believe in space aliens and monsters.
I believe all gods were created by man and I believe all religions are for insecure people who also does not know the difference between reality and fantasy. Anything outside of what we feel, see, hear and touch does not exist except in one's imagination which clears up any doubt that there are gods as there are none.
As I am agnostic I can only say "if there is a god, prove it to me. If the god is the creator, then why can't it show its self without being afraid of me?"
I like the answer I heard years ago "What if there is a dog, would you bowwow down before him if walked up to you and barked the order; Bowwow thy self before me for I am the Dog all mighty who hath made heaven and earth in my image. So do not whine to me of your problems, nor bark up the wrong tree or wag your tail in my face about I am not a loving dog just because I send you to the dog house when you displease me or bite your lazy ass for not giving me enough of your hard earned cash to buy me better dog food. Surely you would rather woof down lies than believe I am the biggest and baddest dog gone dog in the whole neighborhood and I sent my only begotten son of bitch to save your sorry ass soul so you would not end up in the cat house where that evil old cat will scratch your eyes out forever more. Therefore bowwow down before me and I will give you eternal life in that great dog pound in the sky."
Now that I can believe in if anyone is expecting me to believe that a talking snake talked a nudist into eating a forbidden in some far out garden in dog knows where, or that some dude rounded up every creature on earth except the dinosaurs and some how packed them all into a small wooden ship the size of a football field with one small window to float around in an ocean the size of the earth for one year after 40 days of constant rain (hell it rains 3 months straight in western Oregon and rarely floods) as they have nothing to eat or drink because the bible makes no mention of the food and water. And that a baby is born to a virgin, grows up and is killed deader than a rock and 3 days later rises from the dead and floats away in the clouds. Hey even the story of Santa Claus living at the North Pole and delivering toys to every kid in the world in just one night seems more likely than the bible stories. Yes I'll buy the mighty dog version over the bible version any day folks.
"When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react?"

Me: 1) How much power do you have? Followed by 2) WTF is WRONG with You?

"If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?"

Don't care. If there is some sort of god passing some sort of judgment based on belief then they are asinine. Having power doesn't make someone right. The idea that existence in this world is just a test (cloaked in secrecy and which billions (assuming one of our various religions is correct) could never pass successfully, through no fault of their own) is morally repugnant.
but is such a fiction worth worrying about?

Worry about? No. Have fun and even learn something by picking it apart? Yes.

And if there is a god I sincerely hope it is some wildly pagan deity like Cthulhu, just to mess with the Christians, Jews and Muslims when they die.
One of my favorite Rowan Atkinson bits is where he is the devil welcoming souls to hell, ending up with, "Oh, and all of you Christians over here. I'm afraid the Jews were right."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service