Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you ever noticed how PETTY gods can be? Sure, the god of the Christers excels at it, but the bunch on Olympus were no better ... and a look into the Hindu pantheon might be intriguing as well!
I have noticed, it's one of the biggest contributing factors to my disdain for religion.
Jan, c'mon! You KNOW you can always refer to His Omniscient Noodlyness and say:

RAMEN!
It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times

I can't sit through a sermon any more. I just can't tolerate the absurdity of it. There is a reason sermons don't end with a question and answer period.
A Question and Answer period?!? Good Grief, Agnes!!! It would run right through Sunday Afternoon Football, probably the early and late game both, and THAT's a mortal sin if ever I heard one!!!
I remember sitting through church as a kid and it felt like torture! In my head I was counting down hymns... I knew that after the third one we got to bolt!
The Congregationalist church I grew up in wasn't that bad, really. Some really nice people and a pastor who was in no ways standoffish and wanted to connect with all his congregation, and not in a condescending fashion, either. I honestly liked the guy and thinking back on it, I still do.

I just could never believe what they laid down because I had no experience to back up what they were saying! It was all lecture and NO LAB!!!
I went to a Southern Baptist service once. It was actually fun because the person was flamboyant, loud, and put on a great stage act with singing and yelling and playing the crowd.

Scary... the service I liked the most as a kid is now what I interperet as one of the more crude and offensive forms of theism
Chill out. They're just some questions I presented to everyone here and have thought about myself. Yes I'm an atheist but that doesn't mean I can't present a question about religion. I think many people here have thought of these questions. I get asked them a lot when people find out I'm an atheist. I was just curious as to what other people thought while providing some background.
You started a wonderful thread Danny, thanks!
As an atheist, you're allowed to ask whatever the hell you want and to ponder whatever the hell you want. Fuck, is being an atheist isn't like being in a church full of fundies? Can't think this. Can't ask that. Do you hear yourselves? You deserve to have someone say "kiss my hairy atheist ass". Let the man ask if "what if there was a flying spaghetti monster"...or "what if there was a tooth fairy". Ridiculous questions have led to discoveries in science, psychology, music., etc., Look up "patterned thinking", and you'll see
that people have the tendency to clutch their rule books (even if it's a policy and procedure manual from work) and come down the mountain like some Moses to shatter your golden fucking calf because you're a heretic. Never mind that rules can be changed CREATIVELY.
I'll second that Roy Batty.

Danny - very cool of you to ask the question I know lots of Atheists ask. If only to ponder the universe full of what-ifs and further philosophically dissect the goofiness that is god.

Besides, last night I went to sleep wondering what it would be like to be a vampire. What kind of vampire would I be? Who or what would I prey on? Makes for awesome REM dreams!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service