Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She could not be as incredibly obvious as Jacqueline Sara Homan could she?
I can reply to all this. I am against evil and I often fantasize that a UFO lands and I am invited on board where I grab control of the ship and use its omnideathray to obliterate the Vatican to a depth of 1 mile and a circumference of 10 miles. Now we order all countries to destroy their churches, execute all their priests, pastors, ministers, bishops etc. etc. and outlaw holy magic books under the pain of death to all the family members of those caught with one on them or in their home. Have I got your attention? Refusal to carry out these orders will be met with the complete obliteration of the capital of the offendiong nation. Stand by, more rules and strictures will be issued. Once they are all sublimanted and obedient, I suddenly discover that I was duped by the aliens and their fleet of slave ships are about to descend on the world...please continue the story
If there was a God, I'd want him to be just like me!

Maybe a little taller...

...and better at math.
If by some slight chance the god of the bible is real and we stand before judgement, I'll say my peace. I'll explain to him that in the bible he was very brutal and had great disrespect for women and I didn't want to serve someone like that. I respectfully decline life eternal with some of the cruelest, uncaring and judgmental people on the planet. Since I don't believe the bible actually teaches there is a hell... no worries. Ancient jews didn't believe in hell and some didn't even believe in an afterlife. When you're doing a gig at church I'd be thankful for the money they are paying and laugh about how ironic it is that the music I played somehow brought people close to god in worship.
Honestly, an anthropomorphic deity would be the last thing I would imagine occurring.

I don't find any reason for us to be treated by said deity any different than the rest of the species. Are humans the only special ones that get judged or the rest of the hominids do to some extent? What about the extinguished human species and ancestors? The truth is, I don't consider us special. We are in a ridiculously gigantic universe, and we are a pretty small and unremarkable part of it.
If there is a god, why would we only meet it after we die? That seems pretty silly.

The Greeks never had to put up with such bullshit.
There is a certain logical fallacy involved with discovering there is a god of the judgmental type. I believe this would fall under the "Incoherence of God" category:

(1) IT made us as we are; that we are emotional, ponderous, often violent beings....or whatever you want to call human nature.....we have been MADE to be this way.

(2) How are we to be judged for what were made into? The obvious theistic answer is one that says "well you have the ability to think and reason, and you've been given the rules to follow and you know the consequences for not following them, so if you choose to not follow them, then you can be judged for your actions".

(3) If IT fits the omniscient description, then it already knows what will happen, who will choose what, before it even "breathes life into" any one of its creations. So again, why go through all of this absurdity? Why give life to whoever you know will become a serial killer, or be born developmentally deficient?

(4) If IT fits into this notion of being “Everything and Nothing”, then we assume IT can reason, use logic, and that IT understands how we humans will reason about certain things; essentially then, if our capacity to think and make logical connections and form empirical conclusions is a god-given construct, then IT knows that we will conclude that IT doesn’t even exist by using the tools that IT gave us…if we were created to worship and believe, then why would IT allow this course to develop, this course which will inevitably lead a considerable number of us away from it?
Just relax Danny.
There's none.
Well I have thought about that certainly. I was raised in fundamentalist congregations, first presbyterian (not mainstream PCUSA), and then 'reformed' episcopalian (as in, "no gay or women priests allowed") before I stopped going. The guilt that kept me going to church well into my college years finally lost steam as my parents were going Anglican and were then divorced.

It was all drilled into my head for so many years and it's so hard to let go of. I would say in fact that it's impossible aside of perhaps years of therapy (which I have not had).

This is something that many people simply cannot relate to. Breaking away from something as powerful as a systematic brainwashing is not easy. That system works very well and that's why it's so successful still. You can't just say to a believer "Hey, the earth is 4.7 billion years old!" and they snap out of it. People want a 'deeper' understanding. Religion is such a drug.

Anyway, to get back to your question, sure I think about it. But I always remember that if 'he' exists in an intermediate way, then his influence in mine and everyone else's everyday lives would be impacted. Instead, I feel that there is a huge difference between what life would be like if god did exist and if god didn't exist. Because of that, I don't worry about an afterlife. I don't have any reason to believe in an afterlife and I'm glad. Today is what is important. Still, my mind is often thrown back into my past learnings. Day by day...
If there is a god, then I suspect that he's extremely upset with the manner he's been portrayed by the major theistic religions on this planet. I doubt he is nearly as petty as the christians describe him, nor does he care if we masterbate.
Hey but if he is omnipresent then he WATCHES us masturbate...aren't those kind defined as perverts?

We need more discussion here.

and more wine...
I am an ex-Christian, and I NEVER think of that question. I KNOW that there is no god...in the sense of being all good, all powerful, omniscient...because the all good and the all powerful are contradictory. It flies in the face of any kind of logic to say that god is all good/powerful. The existence of even one headache anywhere in the universe would suffice to prove it. If there is a headache that god has created (because all things ultimately come from god), then god can't be all good. (A theist could come up with all kinds of responses to this...which are easy to strike down. I won't speak to those now, because it would take up a book. I'm not in the mood to write a book.)

As to the all powerful characteristic of god-ness...the only thing that can be all powerful is a thing outside of which there is no other force or power...which is tantamount to equating god to "all of existence", the Universe. That would fulfill the all powerful requirement...but the all good? The question of good is meaningless. The universe doesn't care what you think or whether or not you pray...it just is. I can be in awe of the Universe/god, but I don't pray to it, or "love" it, or fight for its honor.

To your other question...No creator who created me with brains would fault me for using them honestly...I've no fear of being punished...not at all. If God sees into your heart and knows your life and your innermost thoughts...no problem. I'm just doing as I was created to do.

Re Dawkins's scale of 1 to 7...I'm a 7.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service