Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teapots are passe'! Bananas are the current deal! [grin!]
I will deal with the "after life me" the same way I delt with the "before life me". All the fears and emotions you are experiencing are human and require a physical brain. Your brain will not be functioning after you die, just like it didn't function before you lived.

IF for some reason there was a god and we could have a conversation with them, I would not feel the NEED to explain anything to them. They on the other hand, would have a lot of explaining to do. Just because someone or something is more powerful than I does not mean they are worthy of being worshiped. There is no god worthy of being worshiped that is responsible for our world.

Unfortunately you have been programed to fear something as absolute truth and there is no evidence to back it up. However there is a mountain of evidence to suggest the oppisite. There might be a god, but if so we know nothing about what they want, and they want it that way for a reason.
If there is a god, it is not one worth worshiping.

The creation of an inherently cruel world and an inherently cruel nature is not something that merits my worship. Whether or not there is a net good or a net good as perceived by god, that the individual creations feel suffering even unto the smallest and defenseless, to starve to death, riddled with HIV and Malaria, inexcusable. That god allows children to live just long enough to know suffering before they die expresses a coldness, distance, and cruelty that few people are capable of.

If there is a god, it is not one with whom I would enjoy spending eternity. If that was the god I had to contend with, I would gladly walk into hell .
Beautifully spoken. that's the answer I was looking for.
When things are going very badly for me, for example last year when I found myself standing in a cold rain outside the Brussels airport, having realized that the spot where I'd been told to wait by an old friend was obliterated by construction, my thoughts do commonly wander on along the lines of, "On top of this, the Catholics are probably right and I am going to hell." When matters improve for me, I start thinking straight again, and not fearing the cosmic extortion racket in which I grew up.
Firstly, I don't see why god/gods had any reasons to communicate with me after I've been ''transferred''. The whole idea of afterlife reminds me of fencing farm animals, and I guess by normal religious definition there's only one suitable enclosure for me. Secondly, if I am not even qualified with the elite i.e. religious people, then it's quite clear-cut how the judgment will be passed.

Seriously speaking, I frankly don't care. If my lack of belief means progress in some aspects of my life, such as not being afraid of offending someone/something whose existence is very slim or live in denial, then I might as well take that chance.
I don't believe in the possibility of the existence of an omniscient, omnipotent god, that to me is a logical impossibility.
If there were a god in the Yahweh/Odin/Zeus mold or extremely advanced alien or something along those lines, a being of sufficient understanding of the universe and sufficient resources to accomplish the feats ascribed to the god of the Bible, I find it virtually inconceivable to imagine that it would be vain and capricious enough to use the standards of judgement in the Bible. Its standards of judgement wouldn't match ours, but it would invariably be more civilized and advanced than our standards, not less.
I don't think pondering a question like this implies that you are not an atheist. It's a what if, a hypothetical. I don't believe in Martians or zombies but I can ask myself what I would do if Martians invaded or zombies attacked my family. It's the same sort of thing. It's an intellectual exercise. Imagination, the ability to consider possibilities that are not yet real, is what makes us human.

That said, if God exists (and obviously, I doubt it) he is either a big asshole or totally impotent, so either I have nothing to fear from him or what I do doesn't matter anyway.

It's interesting how we always associate the ideas of God and the afterlife, when actually, I don't think one implies the other. Even if God existed, would we necessarily have immortal souls? I find the proposition of a soul somewhat less likely than the proposition of a "prime mover" in the universe. It is possible (though so unlikely as to hardly be worth considering) that there is some kind of consciousness in the universe on a level we don't understand. On the other hand, the more we understand about the brain, the more we realize that there is nothing about our mind that is not caused by physical processes.
Where is Shirley McClaine when we really NEED her?!?

Of course, that begs another question: "Do we really NEED HER?!?"

I'm not drunk enough for this discussion!
Noted, Larry, and thanks. BTW, you HAVE to know that I mention dear Shirley with tongue FIRMLY PLANTED in CHEEK!
Ohhhh, Loren, you do elaborate and you don't share that wine.
Not wine, really ... more likely Glenlivet! [grin!]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service