Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1846

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If there was a God, he would have killed Jerry Falwell a long time ago.
Excellent. Exactly what I'd do. And I'd gladly go to hell in protest rather than go to 'his' heaven and forget about all the suffering 'he' caused and/ or ignored. Not to mention the good people burning in hell as I floated, or whatever I'd be doing to pass the time. What honor is there in being in that kind of heaven?
To the question: “If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?”

Of course, God would understand because He loves you. Your post develops the intensity of feelings from guilt to the quest of salvation. Christian Catholics consider the salvation of souls of paramount importance.

Mere curiosity: have you talked with the Pastor about this after the service?

Oh, by the way, were you raised Christian Catholic?
Oh Alex. I was just kidding. And I quoted someone else. When I was working in the text of my discussion about “Who do you say that the Black Jesus is?" (See my post on April 23, 2009 in Black Free-thought), I had a conversation with a Catholic Priest who comes from Nigeria.

I asked him whether the African archetypes could be the same in both continents (Africa and America) Father Collins certainly didn’t know what I was talking about especially given the implication that Black-Christianity could be related to slavery.

He started asking questions about my post. So I said to him, “I belong to an Atheist community.”

“Maybe you belong to an Atheist community," Father Collins said. "But you are looking for God. And God loves you.”
Father Collins said that I was looking for God. Not Me.

Not knowing how to answer my question about archetypes, he tried to change the subject of conversation.

Which reminds me what an atheist friend of mine once said, “Priests should not answer real question right to the point. If they do, there is something wrong with them."
Claudia...why do you keep up this facade? A review of your poses shows your viewpoint. get a grip nutjob.
If a god could prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt it exists without the use of some advanced super technology then I would ask "What does god need with a starship?"

Do you too doubt me?
Well, if this photo doesn't convert you to atheism, nothing will.
I wanna know who does his hair!
Crap, god's hungover...
Gandalf lives!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service