Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A majority of them cannot even be considered as gods as such. Very few of our world religions actually include the beliefs in gods. The biggest group consist paganism, animism and shamanism that more often worship spirits of different kinds rather than gods.
The members of my family who are still fundies ask me quite often "What if you're wrong?"

If I die and there is a god I would hope that he respects the fact that I searched for evidence of his existence and did not find it. I would hope that he respects honest searching rather than complacent pew-sitting and the fact that I lived a good and decent life rather than professing things with my mouth and hating people in my heart.
The members of my family who are still fundies ask me quite often "What if you're wrong?"

I have used this Pascal's Bet to rebut the argument of faith. I have so much 'faith' in my atheistic convictions that I am betting my eternal soul (if such a thing exists) on it. I'd argue that shows a lot more faith than the "what if you're wrong" reason to join a religion just to hedge one's bets.
Ask your family members "What if the Moslems are right?" "What if the Catholics are right?" "What if the Hindus are right?"
Nick in Tacoma
Nice!
I've been lurking around here, but I had to join up simply to comment on this thread.
"AHA" a lot of you have cried. "He's not a true Atheist!". Pfft. Like such a thing exists. Atheism is a negative category, it's defined by what its not. It's not belief in god(s). You can't pick what it is.
Asking a question isn't a recanting of non-belief. It's asking a question. How do you ever get anywhere if you don't ask questions? While the question might have some logical issues, it's a perfectly wonderful question for an atheist/agnostic/whatever to ask. It's the proper scientific/skeptical approach to a position. "Right, this is what I think. Now, if I'm wrong, where does that line of reasoning lead? Does that explain what I see better than what I think?"

I've been thinking about this topic myself. What if god(s?) appeared while I alive? Could they prove they were god(s)? I'd probably call Clark on them, or go for a mental health check-up! And if I was "dead" - well, I'd probably refuse to believe I was dead, and schedule a CAT scan for as soon as I woke up. If, in the end, the proved they was god, I still win. Because in order to prove it, they'd have to use logic, or evidence or something more than revelation. At that point beleif in god(s) becomes moot: I wouldn't believe, I'd know. Like I *know* about gravity.
Good response :)
People who want to LEARN ask questions. True Believers who swallow their dogma without chewing DON'T ask questions.

'Nuff said.
When the atheist philosopher, Bertrand Russell, was asked what he would say to God if he died and found himself being asked by God, “Why did you not believe in me?”, he replied, “Not enough evidence, God, not enough evidence!”

But then, if you were to believe in a god or gods, how could you choose which one(s) to believe in?
You sly dog--I'm sure Mr. Roberts would be proud ;)
Of course, every atheist/agnostic has thought about "what if there is a god" if only for a moment to discount it on lack of evidence. There is no proof that god doesn't exist so anyone who understands that is technically agnostic as I am, but the odds of there being a god are so vanishingly small that I consider myself an atheist in practical terms.

I wouldn't be able to respect the god of the bible, or qur'an for his wicked character. Think about all the misleading evidence about it's existence, and all the suffering allowed in our world.

One last thing: Consider the words of Epicurus written 2300 years ago:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
I've seen that before and now I'm adding that to my list of awesome teachings.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service