Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Danny,

Sounds like you have the same anxieties I had.

Though I never believed, for most of my life I was afraid to admit it.

I did not become an atheist overnight, or because I think it's radical, or for reading a book.

This has taken years, why? Because I want to be 100% satisfied with my belief, afterall,

it's nothing less than my own "soul" we are talking about here. What if I die suddenly tomorrow!?

If there were even the slightest shread of evidence, not proof, just evidence, or even a really good

philisophical argument for the christian god, I would know it, and take it very seriously.

You see, I always WANTED to believe.

My theist friends told me to pray. So, I prayed (though I did feel a bit silly!).

Does god not say in the bible that he will answer our prayers?

But I did not pray for material things, I prayed to god simply for the power of belief and faith.

Humbled and begging for him to at least guide me to the right path.

Even coming to me in a dream woud be nice, I could take it from there.

But, guess what, god never answered my prayers. No hint, no dream, nothing.

I was not expecting a "miracle", just asking for something very basic.

Since god wants us to believe and have faith, I would certainly think that this would be

the one prayer he would answer.

Nothing doing!!

My theist friends pray. They say their prayers are "heard", they avoid saying their prayers were

answered.

My christian friends have ailments, sickness, deaths of family and friends, etc. just like I do.

Yet, for all their love and devotion to god, not a single one of their prayers have been answered.

Dont be afraid to let go of the religion that has been a fixture your whole life.

It has done no one a bit of good other then being the incentive for fear and guilt.

Just trust and believe in your self :)

Well for a start I think it absolutely matters "what God or what religion". (your second sentence above). You cant say "just if there is one".

Because what "kind of god" exists (if there exists one) determines what the outcome of this would be.

Just an example:

If a Christian God exists then most probably it doesn't actually matter what you say or believed. If you didn't believe in Jebus in your lifetime, you are in trouble.

Also your other questions depend on the god that exists. For example i cant tell you if "God" understands my reasons when passing judgment unless we can agree that we talk about a God who is capable or incapable of doing so. If we agree on such a preposition, then the question becomes obsolete however.

You get my point?

Another problem, one that philosophers have struggled with for eons, is that "god" is a nedulus concept.

What exactly does one MEAN when they say god? What attributes should we expect this god to have?

If you randomly assemble a group of theist's, you may well get several interprations and arguments about which concept is correct.

Theist's know they cant all be correct; so they rationalize their personal belief to be the true one, at the total exclusion of all others.

It makes me think of a Homer Simpson quote:

"Suppose we have chosen the WRONG god, every time we go to church, we are making him madder and madder" :)

This just illustrates the sillyness of it all to me :)

If you're questioning because there is some guilt hidden away, then you are not free from the brainwashing of your christian background.

If it's just a hypothetical question (like what if our genitals were located on our palms*) Then we'd first have to establish WHICH god. The Desert God? Then he/she/it would certainly be cool with my non-belief. He created me with a critical mind. It would be a gift from the Sky-Pixie that he'd probably be pretty pissed off about if I let it lay dormant to follow Paul's Dogma.

*Handshakes would be either AWESOME or really really awkward.

*Hi five on that one!.... wait!!!! :-(

Excellent article discussing Agnosticism. It seems like a great site overall as well.

http://atheismblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/whats-left-to-be-agnostic-a...
Although I do consider myself an atheist since I don't have a positive belief in any gods, I identified with a lot that the author said about this hypothetical agnostic. It also sounds like some of my friends who do consider themselves believers, but have no meaningful conception of what their god is (although they would never consider themselves agnostic and/or atheist).

I would be pretty shocked at first, angry too. but i would eventually accept it, but i would never bring myself to worship it/them.

I can't help but be reminded of my favorite quotes:

“How gullible are you? Is your gullibility located in some "gullibility center" in your brain? Could a neurosurgeon reach in and perform some delicate operation to lower your gullibility, otherwise leaving you alone? If you believe this, you are pretty gullible, and should perhaps consider such an operation.”
~ Douglas R. Hofstadter

If there's a god, it is bat-shit crazy or else how is described by the devil in Devil's Advocate, an absentee landlord. I see little chance for such an entity to exist, given our universe. If shown to us, we'd probably see it as an advanced life-form and little more.

In other words, many of us have outgrown the concept.

I would take the late Christopher Hitchens' lead and hope that whatever this "god" is would prefer honest disbelief to dishonest belief "just in case".

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
--Marcus Aurelius

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joseph Corder posted photos
4 minutes ago
Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
6 minutes ago
Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
21 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
27 minutes ago
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
27 minutes ago
27 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Shaun Johnston's discussion Critical review of Darwin's "Origin..." 6th edition posted in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
3 hours ago
Mequa replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
3 hours ago
sk8eycat commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Plinius replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service