Has anyone here every thought about what if there happened to be a god. It doesn't really matter what god or what religion just if there is one. When you die what do you think they/him/her would say and how you would react? If they were a god that passed judgment, do you think that they would understand your reasons for not believing and forgive you or would they punish you without question?

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe anything they say, the above still crosses my mind quite often. I'm a musician and I get a lot of gigs playing for church services, especially around Christmas and Easter. It's hard not to listen to the sermon and try to understand their way of thinking during these times and these questions always pop into my mind during and after the service.

Views: 1824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think your response illustrates the absurdity of the existence of a god. How could such an entity be moral and ethical and then do this to anyone? This is self contradictory which to my mind makes it impossible. When something is impossible, the question of "what if" doesn't apply. For example, it is like asking what if the earth was both a planet and the size of a carbon atom? Impossible.
I have no problem with people making the statement "I believe in God".

It's when the try to apply a false scientific method to it; I.E.-itelligent design. Religion and science have never and will never be compatible.
I don't believe it can be said with certainty that there is or is not a god, so I see no issue with his questioning. I, too, was raised Christian, so I can relate to where he or she is coming from.

For me, I guess we won't know for sure till we die. If it were a god who valued true conviction then simply professed (surfaced) conviction, then non-believers might not suffer (if there is a sort of punishment for disbelief).
Well, even if there was a God, what makes you think that its the one in the Bible?? Why not Vishnu?? Or Allah?? Or any other dozen of names that depict God according to the culture that gave those names??
Its a human thing. The bible is a book of conflicting contradictions, if you ever really read that book you would only find one pissed off human being with some really super powers, and that is about it. Such a being couldn't possibly have created this universe, not on a rational or common sense thinking sense anyway. The bible god as is would of destroyed this planet and universe in one of his many insane fits long before now. The Bible God or the religions that are based on that book just does not make any sense, not according to the way nature works as we have observed it.

CD
I wonder too. I know it's logicly impossible, but being raised Christian, I still get a little guilty and unsure. But then I remember how my parents try to convert me back and the guilt goes and I remember the fallaces of it and the doubt goes away.
What makes anyone even think that if there is a god it gives a single shit about us? If it did happen to exist, I find it highly unlikely that we would ever know~ we see only a sliver of the spectrums of light, let alone whatever would create those spectrums.. I think the question is, in a sense, null and void. now maybe its refined to "what if one of the human gods existed" but I didn't get that impression from my reading of the question.
point is, if there is/was a God, it would be beyond all comprehension for us. In a post I made in another thread, I mentioned that being religious is the height of arrogance simply because it assumes we can understand so much grander than ourselves~ no one person can design, build, or operate an aircraft carrier~ it takes teams of people just to develop the concept~ so why would anyone assume they could know or make sense of something that created all the complexity of the solar system as an afterthought?

Again, my point is merely that if one died, finding god wouldn't likely be anything like what we humans like to fantasize about. comprehending the incomprehensible? nah

if that wasn't the question, i would like to think that when I met the christian god i'd get a high five~ he build a fuckin' universe based on reason and order, an incredibly systematic machine where actions elicit specific reactions~ you think he'd appreciate a life based on the same principals, not just a grab bag of beliefs and emotional responses.
We create God in our image and according to our own understanding, which why every religion is the world is so screwed up.

I came late to the discussion, and admit I haven't read all 45 pages of comments.  But my thoughts on your question are best summed up by this quote attributed to Marcus Aurelius:

‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you
should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be
gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories
of your loved ones.’

This is the best and most constructive response to the problem of the existence of a deity.

I love this! I also have not read the 45 pages, but this all made me think of "Smith's wager" which I came across while websurfing not too long ago.

1. The existence of a god, if we are to believe in it, can only be established through reason.
2. Applying the canons of correct reasoning to theistic belief, we must reach the conclusion that theism is unfounded and must be rejected by rational people.

More details are in the link, and the conclusion is:

1. If there's no god, you are correct.
2. If there's an indifferent god, you won't suffer in hell anyway.
3. If there's a just god, you have nothing to fear from the honest use of your reason.
4. If there's an unjust god, you have much to fear but so does the Christian.

I found it comforting.

If there is an unjust god, we have much to fear under any conditions.  Certainly it would make no sense at
all to attempt to propitiate it by sucking up - one might as well ignore it since it's response to kow-towing 
behavior will be unjust.     If, on the other hand, a just god existed, we might as well ignore it since no just, omnipotent,
omniscient being would deign to punish a mere mortal.    (unless, of course, that god was also vain, in the Judeo-Christian
sense, in which case we're truly screwed!)

Woody Allen suggested yet another premise:  What if a god exists; is benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient, but is also 
 an under-achiever?  

"Woody Allen suggested yet another premise: What if a god exists; is benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient, but is also an under-achiever? "

LOL!! yeah, I like that quote too ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service