I was watching the news the other day, about the ongoing war and terror in the middle east, which of course at its core is about religion, whose god is the only god....same as it has been forever. It is mind blowing how long human beings have been slaughtering one another in the name of one god or another. I thought, "How long will it take for humans to evolve past such illogical behavior and ideas"?

A thought occured to me... What if the god concept had never become "real" to people? What if gods and goddesses never grew to be anything more than a story told around a fire?  Hence, the topic of discussion I am proposing:

What do you think this world would be like if there had never been belief in any gods of any kind? How do you think our evolution would have been different, if at all?

I am looking forward to this conversation, everybody!

Tags: imagine, no, religion

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice idea, TC, but I believe people would have told stories around a camp fire anyway, so the god concept was inevitable. We can only be thankful that it wasn't any worse really. Here are examples:

(1)  "Johnny Socco and his Giant Flying Jesus."

(2)  "Gunsmoke" but Jesus solves everything in every show.

(3)  "The Flying Nun" but if she was bad Jesus took away her powers.

(4)   "Modern Day Jesus" he's a secret crimefighter with 2 identities and wears glasses.

(5)   "Star Wars" where Jesus leads the fight against other gods and bad entities.

(6)   "Star Trek" a weekly series about "beam me up, Jesus" for the righteous.

I'm amazed in this day and time that with all our worldly cultures and beliefs that people cannot see through this crap. Once extremely religious myself, it makes no sense to me today that others cannot see that your religion is determined largely by where you were born. If you were born in Iran it is not likely that you are going to be Pentecostal. Saying this much alone about religious belief shows the great fallacy of religion and it dis-proves much when you apply it. American theists would extend their nonsense into my 6 TV shows above (and beyond) if they had their way.

We are not alone however. We had big religious slaughters in the Crusades. Now Islamists are rising up to try their hand at it also. It's all insanity.

Its amazing how easily people...entire cultures..are convinced to drink the koolaid.

So do you think that if people had no deity to worship, we would worship kings? Is it human nature to ultimately want or need to be controlled and protected by a figure we see as stronger and wiser?

TC, I think it's a failure to grow up. Most of us have felt more protected when we were children.

to be controlled and protected by a figure we see as stronger and wiser?

When you're able to pick such a figure, you're also at the point where you don't trust him...

TC.....I do believe  it is in our DNA to worship or admire others....In ancient times people  worshipped Gods  who they thought were responsible  for The weather, The Sea, The water etc.....Without science  and  facts, people  look for  anything that may explain  what is happening  around them....If people  didn't  worship Gods, they would  worship  Kings  or Queens....Even   today   some  actually  worship  celebrities,as sad  as that is......I can still remember  the day the Beatles arrived  in NYC and  those  teenage  girls  screaming  and crying like  they were  witnessing  the second  coming  of JC....So yes, it is human nature to want to worship  someone or something, for whatever  reason.....IMO....

You're probably right Free.  That's why I'm proud of the fact that I've never wanted to worship anything, even when I was a mormon.  I always wondered why god wanted to be worshiped, and I didn't really have a desire to.

Even as a young man training for the ministry I always wondered why god wanted to be worshiped, why we had to worship him, and why humans had some great desire to worship anything? At the time I looked at the god concept more as an explanation of all things and later in life found this to be false.

@Michael....Feels  good  doesn't it?     :=D

You bet!

In my day, it was Frank Sinatra that girls swooned over. 

If there had never been belief in any gods of any kind, I think by now we would have learned how to get along with each other.

Scientific methods would have developed much earlier.  Humans would have had the medical knowledge and technology we have today, maybe 50,000 years ago.

By now, we would have conquered all disease and mental illness, our bodies would be nearly indestructible, we would have modified our brains so they were 10,000 times more powerful and have backups stored in many safe places.  

We would have explored a third of the galaxy and populated many other planets.  We would have discovered how self-replicating organisms started, and would have created many new life-forms.

We would be doing many new and exciting things that I can't even think of.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service