what we can do ?

Views: 2297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's even presuming the god we discover is the god of the bible!  I mean, what if he/she/it comes back with:

Good gravy!  You guys actually believed that crap?!?  Naaah, I got the whole thing started then went on vacation for a bit.  You'd be amazed how a couple billion years' rest gives you a whole new perspective on things!

Science would not be able to prove or disprove a mythical being, that would be unscientific.

Richard Dawkins says that there are some questions that are ridiculous to ask, such as what is north of the north pole.

Ultra North??

What if president Obama turns out to be three little people in a robot. What if the moon turns out to be made from cool whip? What if cats rise up and enslave the human race...more than they already have?

You going to live your life waiting for those things to happen? I'm not.

It's a dumb question but I appreciate you are making discussion.

Science can only discover nature and not a supernature.

I agree with Steph_S.

I have no worry whatsover this will ever happen.  If it was going to happen it would have already.

I agree with you.  If it was going to happen, it would have already.  What! Me worry?

As a purely hypothetical thought, if science is able to reveal a god, at worst it would be "interesting" in that it might allow us to define or explain things in a new or modified way and add to our understanding of how the world works.

I've often humorously postulated that; just as we look into the world of atoms and sub-atomic particles, with a small nucleus being "orbited" by electrons, that the same thing could apply for infinite scales, upwards and downwards - perhaps our planet could be seen as a sub-atomic particle in the "atom" of the solar system or galaxy, and on some unfathomable scale upwards, we could be constituent of a molecule in the skin-cell of some creature, just as electrons are a constituent of your arm, or your dog's anus, or your desk's veneer.

Although intended as humour, I would suggest that this would be the only possible scenario in which we could find a "superior being" - something totally indifferent and even unaware of our presence. Certainly not to be feared or worshipped.

However, if the Judeo-Christian god is detected (and maybe communicated with), then I will be forced to admit that the world is a far more depressing place than I had ever imagined; like an ant colony becoming aware of a petulant child, crouching over their nest magnifying-glass in hand...

Chris C, my Mom always says maybe we (our planet) are part of a cell on someones body, but she thinks we are a cancer cell. lol.~ Melinda

LOL Melinda I always call humans parasites, I think your Mom and I would get along famously!

I'll bet you would Tammy!  We would too!~ Melinda

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service