Alright, so we don't even know these were Jesus' teachings... But let's say they actually were. I disagree with the supernatural aspect of Jesus. But as a moral teacher, what do you think of him? Some people say "I dismiss some of the bible and take just some. but I'm a believer" I say heck no. If you dismiss some parts, you are a snobby spoiled brat who is not reasonable enough to understand THERE IS NO REALITY IN THE BIBLE as to connection with "holliness". Anyway....

Here are two teachings of Jesus:

"If someone strikes you, turn the other cheek."

What do you think about it? Do you apply it in your daily life? (even when you are an atheist, you might, not because it is JESUS but because it comes like a natural moral to YOU)

thanks !

Tags: god, jesus, quotes

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In one story he kills a fig tree because didn't give him fruit.  Well it wasn't the season for it to bear fruit and he was 'god' so he made the tree and knew that.  Killing a tree.  What an idiot.

More evidence that, as Robert Heinlein said, that Jebus, like most gods, had "the manners and morals of a spoiled child."

Exactly Loren. When I had to read the bible I noticed god had a bad temper, huge ego  and anger issues (just to cite a few things of course). Everything was "me me me".

Jesus might have been an interesting guy.

Who knows ? The new testament is posthumous and is not regarded as an historical document by ancient historians. So, when you quote it you are just quoting nonsense.

Therefore, the quote;

"If someone strikes you, turn the other cheek."

may or may not be attributable to Jesus. Anyway, I think it's poor advice unless you are a sado-masochist or a loser.

Right Napoleon. I actually am not really sure jesus actually existed or is just a myth.

Hi Steph, I think Jesus existed and there is also the myth of Jesus which Christians purport to believe in.

The reason being that ancient historians have very little if no credible documentation to go by and often only archeological, circumstantial or remote evidence on which to draw conclusions.

Do ancient historians attempt to interpret unwritten history ? I think so.

What do I think of the teachings of Jesus?  Honestly, not much. If he even existed (and that's a big IF), he was a nut bag. He's someone who, in today's society, would probably be in and out of a mental health treatment center. On his meds one day, and off of them then next.

The materialism thing is right-on.  I wonder why Gandhi would think 'christ' was all that great if he read the whole bible.  Like the part about leaving your family to follow him.  What a good parent.

Jesus being a teacher of morals is questionable if not absurd.  Loren, Scott and others gave good examples of the inconsistency of Jesus's own morality. For two millennia Christians have used the Old Testament and the teachings of Christ to justify the Crusades, the Inquisition, witch hunts, and slavery. Catholics and Protestants have killed and continue to kill each other to this day. Using the Old or New Testament or any holy book as a basis for human morality is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the human race.

Exactly John, and the fact that SO MANY people believe it and want to believe it is Amazingly SCARY!!!!!

This Atheist Nexus video captures my opinion of Jesus and his teachings nicely. Epic God Fail

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
34 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
57 minutes ago
Soren Sagan commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
58 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Amy commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Jim B posted a photo
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
2 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"Heading to Las Vegas this weekend and hope to see the Tree of Knowledge, decorated with book covers, posted by the LV Coalition of Reason."
3 hours ago
Frank Moorman updated their profile
3 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"I signed up here four years ago, but did not participate, what with life taking some interesting turns. So I'll try again."
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service