When someone comments that they will pray for you, what do you say back? Even when I was a pretending christian I felt awkward when people said they would pray for me....

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. - Anonymous

and another one I am pseudo-quoting since I can't find a reference at the moment........

Helping hands are far more useful than praying ones.

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, i have read a lot of interesting answers here. This has always bugged me. People don't say to me I will pray for you, but they always tell me God bless you and it always has bothered me to just accept it. Now I know they mean well. Most don't know I am atheist so I know they mean well. I guess next time I will say I don't believe in God but thank you for the well intentions. Yes, I will say that now.
I know what you mean Joel. "God bless you" is as bad as "I'll pray for you."

Often I'll say, "And may Flying Spaghetti Monster touch you with his noodly appendage."

When they chide me because they're being serious, I'll tell them, "So am I."
I tell them I'd rather they flip a coin for me. :)
I tell them I'd rather they flip a coin for me.

Another great answer!

Or perhaps, "I'd rather you consult a magic 8 ball for me. The success rate is the same as that of prayer."
Haha! That could be the Atheists prayer! "I will flip a coin for you brother." I cant stop laughing about that one.
I think it depends on the context in which it's said that determines the way I react. I very rarely just shrug it off without letting them know that I don't believe in their god. I find it a bit amusing to see how offended people can become when I tell them that, but yet they don't think I have a right to be offended by them constantly saying they'll pray for me. The only time I ever shrug it off is when dealing with certain members of my family like my great-grandparents. I don't let it slide enough to the point where I'll let my own belief, or lack there of, slip. I won't participate in prayers during the dinners, holidays, etc and luckily enough my family is open minded enough to keep their beliefs to themselves and not try to force it down my throat.
The few times my family prays at dinner (usually only at holidays), I'm expected to still hold hands with them. Now I'm wondering if that's feeding into them or what. D;
You say: "No thanks".

Regardless of their (usually) good intent, i dont think it helps to facilitate, and accept their religious foibles.
Regardless of their (usually) good intent, i dont think it helps to facilitate, and accept their religious foibles.

Another good answer. Yes, on the one hand, religion is their choice and their twisted way of saying "I wish you well." But on the other hand, I won't buy cigarettes for someone. I won't buy booze for an alcoholic. Why should I enable the disease/addiction of religion?
What I would lOVE to say is, '...and I'll think for you"
If they say god bless, I tend to just say no thank you, or 'if it makes you feel better, because it has no effect on me.'
If they say "I will pray for you, I generally respond with, Please don't put your beliefs on me." or "I rather you didn't.
I don't approve of feeding into their religion. I agree with what Jo Jerome said about enabling disease/addiction. Since I don't feed other addictions why should I feed the religious ones.
I usually reply thank you for keeping "x" in your thoughts. (which gets around the whole supernatural element - if I'm being thought of, it's good enough.)

If I was feelign at all bullish, maybe a thank you and a polite denial it will be necessary.

Famously Dan Dennet after a heart operation was told he was begin prayed for and it is reported he remarked if they were willing to sacrifice a goat for him too.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service