What do you guys say when someone offers to pray for you?

Hi,

I'm new here and was just wondering what you guys say to someone when they hear about a situation with you or your family and they respond by saying "you have my prayers" or "I'll be praying for you" or something like that? I don't usually say much or just move the conversation on, but more and more as I age maybe, I want to somehow tactfully let them know that I don't believe in god(s) or prayers. I am not at all offended, if they believe they will help me by praying, so be it, but for some odd reason I never know what to say when someone tells me they'll be praying for me... Any suggestions or input would be appreciated! Have a great weekend everyone!

Views: 1701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My brother just got out of the hospital and almost died due to a virus. Everyone is saying they are praying for his quick recovery. I'm having trouble understanding why adults can't see what's wrong with their logic. So god couldn't prevent the virus, so, what's prayer for? Very frustrating. I literally get ill when peeking in on the facebook conversations. I hate to say that about my family and extended family, but it's true. This is one reason i don't have facebook (i use my mom's sign in to view profiles:). I'd probably get jumped if i went against the prayer for recovery business, and i'd have trouble restraining my thoughts online. 

I'd specifically be sure to share my thoughts, any time the mindless, prayer-squad stuff showed up on my page.  That's why I don't have Facebook, either.  I'd love the discussion, but I can't afford the time, right now.  I'd spend so damned much time on there.

As Seth Andrews from The thinking atheist says, you pray for me and I will think for you.

How about, "I appreciate your support"

So simple, why didn't i think of it? You are appreciating "their" support:)

I like that Bill

Most of the time, I just keep quiet, but I have been known to reply:

"No need to pray for my benefit, but if it makes you feel better, go right ahead."  Comes off a bit snarky, though.

And when my religious friends ask for prayers, I usually just tell them I am sending them "mental hugs."

The implicit idea behind "prayer" is that if the individual remains without prayer, he remains a single unit.  But if the subject of prayer, then he's absorbed into the tribe.  His formerly solitary tribulations now become the entire tribe's, and therefore rise in importance.  The deity might sacrifice the solitary individual, but not the whole tribe. The deity might punish a solitary individual, but if the whole tribe is affected, the solitary punishment is no longer just.

Therefore my response to offers of prayer is to thank the offeror for their affirmation of my tribal identity.

Depends on the person but typically what I always want to say is nothing at all. Just silently remove myself from their presense.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service