What do you expect from an atheist organization?

What sort of benefits would make you join an atheist organization? What issues do you want them to address? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tags: atheism, feedback, organization

Views: 1628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry I didn't see this until now. I didn't equate the definition of the word "organisation" with actual behaviour. You've confused descriptive words as being referenced in the comment which, in fact, referred to modes of group behaviour as defined by actions.

For example atheist organisations engaging in censorship while advocating freedom of speech and an end to blasphemy laws. In other words using the same censorship to prevent anything that detracts from the image of the organisation. Or atheist forums using moderators who act like the parish priest: both player and at the same time, the referee who can't be challenged. An atheist forum should not have any moderators at all save for a minimal amount of tidying up. There even seems to be an acceptable atheist stereotype among organised professing atheists: the peace loving, science adoring, rationalist who contributes to no collective belief system. Even the attempts to make claims for what defines an atheist are distorted to the point of  hiding from reality.

Religion is not a problem for the human race and it never was. The problems come from organised religionism. There is no reason to presume organised atheism, given enough time, will not become an evolution of organised religionism.

You say you're an atheist. As I understand the word, an atheist is a person who believes there is no god. That is a belief. And, that belief sends you down the road into a religion of sorts. That belief is a sort of narrow mindedness that might indicate you yourself exhibit some of the same "bullshit" that you so strongly deride in other people. And, by the tone of your writing, it appears that you have adopted the self-righteous certainty that your belief is right and all others are wrong.

I have learned over the years that I'm actually an agnostic. I don't know if there's a "god," as such, but I'm determined to stay open minded about it. I'm also a practitioner of Zen, which leads me to discount belief systems established by other people and, instead, seek the built-in knowledge that is part of the deeper human mind. And take note: Zen is not a religion. It is merely a pathway to a different kind of knowledge...from a more trusted source.

Open minds, non judgemental people.

Excellent answer, Kelly.  The atheist designation is a very big umbrella and I hope that open minds and being non-judgmental are essential parts of that umbrella.

Excuse my photoshop french but:
(aside from the proverbial extended family and odd folks...)
; )
first figure that out
then one can approach this:
throw in:

a great library:

I apologize if this is taken as an attempt to hijack this thread, but I see it as directly related.

Having found no atheist support/meeting group in my area (Slidell, LA), I am taken with the idea of starting one from scratch.  My wife (also atheist) is onboard, but we know of no others in our area, which is overwhelmingly Bible Belt Christchun. 

What I'm wondering is - as a follow on to the very good guidance people have already provided on this thread - does anyone have any ideas about how to go about reaching out to other like-minded people in our area?  This isn't something I'm exactly ready to take out a newspaper ad for, and I don't want us to stupidly set ourselves up for harrassment by fundies.  Kinda makes our choices limited.

I've put out something on this forum, and on thethinkingatheist.com forum as well.  Any other suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

Equality

Equality is extremely important and G has it right.

Who is this Abraha Amanuel and why was his reply deleted?  Is his name an anagram?  Is he BSing us?

Most likely a spambot or some scam artist. Very similar posting to the one below me here. He (or it) has been reported.

-Help coming out as atheists

-Help for new atheists "grieving god"

-Secular counseling for everything from grief to anxiety to loneliness to general mental illness (this is very important, because as someone diagnosed with bipolar and Asperger's, I am terrified of the religious terrorism to the point of refusing to see mental health pros)

-Services for multiple minorities (atheist and Latino, athiest and African American, atheist and LGBT, so on and so forth).

-Dating service for all sexual orientations for those who do not wish to date theists

-Services for atheist parents having difficulties with school systems

-Services for atheist youth thrown from their homes/abused (similar to what PFLAG does for LGBT youth)

If I think of more, I'll be back. Great thread.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service