What do you do with the Gideon Bible in the motel room? - best ideas needed

I was thinking about taking a yellow marker to mark up some key disgusting bible passages in the gideon bibles I find, but there are so many.  I might be up all night doing that.  What do you suggest?

Views: 1961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gee ... we had a god-botherer here and I MISSED it?  Aw, darn...!

I reported him.  I had to re-read his post first, then I realized he was not joking.

Wow!  I missed it too!  Glad I did.  What is it about christianity that some proponents can't leave other people alone?  And he needs to lie about his belief to get onto this site, even though the bible states denial of the holy spirit is an unforgivable sin.  What does he think, crossing his fingers behind is back makes it not count? 

As to our Neanderthal ancestors not being a "missing link", he hasn't read the latest DNA evidence.  Europeans, Asians, and other people carry much Neanderthal DNA in our genomes.  Responsible for thicker skin, lighter eyes, and some disease conditions.  That's in addition to our other African ancestors.

What is it about christianity that some proponents can't leave other people alone?

Many Christian denominations emphasize proselytizing as an essential activity for believers. Some even require missionary work. The Biblical justification for proselytizing is often based on this verse, Luke 14:23:

And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

Christians often feel that they will be rewarded for witnessing, especially if they are reviled or persecuted by those they are witnessing to. If you Google "Christian witnessing" you will find many sites that explain the importance of it and some directions on how to do it successfully.

Psychologists have surmised that this mania for proselytizing comes from their inner fear of being wrong and so if they can convince someone else then they feel they're right. Also, the personal "investment" they've put into their faith makes them fear they may have wasted their time. It's an addiction.

I agree with you Mr.Clark.  This Ken guy hasn't read The Origin Of Species or much of anything else either.  It doesn't look like he's even read the bible.  But maybe this discussion will help him to take a second look.  Maybe he should start with a review of how many people his "Loving" god was resopsible for killing in the old testament.  The estimate is around 2 million and this includes a LOT of innocent children..  I could go on and on about it, but it's best if people like that find out on their own.

On the Origin of Species is such a bogus theoretical pile of excrement that the leaders of established churches such as the Pope, the Archbishop of Canturbury, fully and unreservedly accept it and the Theory of Evolution. Additionally, blaming Darwin for Eugenics and the excesses that developed from Social Darwinism is rather like blaming Jesus for the Spanish Inquisition.

You could also leave tracts like "Kissing Hank's Ass".

If I ever seen a bible I would probably burn it.

Theology is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there, and shouting "I found it!"

Science is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat using a flashlight.

I posted this before in Atheist Ailurophiles, but a commenter on the black cat analogy at "What Would JT Do" wrote:

Experimental Scientist:

Dark room, black cat, dim flashlight, and a laser pointer.

Smart Experimental Scientist:

Same as above, but wearing thick canvas and a face mask.

What do you do with a Gideon Bible? That's easy - use a sharpie to redact the virtuous parts. It wouldn't take long.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service