What do you do with the Gideon Bible in the motel room? - best ideas needed

I was thinking about taking a yellow marker to mark up some key disgusting bible passages in the gideon bibles I find, but there are so many.  I might be up all night doing that.  What do you suggest?

Views: 2116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Roy:

You need to grow up and take your medicine like a man.  All of the above that you attribute in some way to God shows the error of your position.  Please, humble yourself before almighty God.  Also, be careful of hypocrisy when you glorify sin. When you resort to the "f- bomb", you show yourself to be merciless unlike our heavenly Father who doesn't want anyone to perish, but that all should come to repentance.  Please reconsider.  If Jesus and God don't exist, but you believe, you lose little in the big scale of things. However, if Jesus truly is who he says he is and there is, in fact, a holy and just God, do you really want to experience a future suffering eternally, knowing you had a chance to believe, but didn't? Which is the greater loss? I will pray that you make the right choice. God bless you and keep you. May the light of Jesus shine in you forever.

If god truly loves all people why did he slaughter so many of them throughout the Earth's history?

The answer to this question is the same for all violence, including the accelerated violence that gave us the 20th century. Good and Evil cannot coexist. Abraham Lincoln, during the American civil war, said that both the North and the South invoked God, felt that God was on their respective side, and both sides viewed their God as righteous in their respective causes. Lincoln said that one side or both sides could be wrong, but that God could not, by his very nature, be both for and against something at the same time.

There will be slaughter until God's son redeems this world in apocalyptic final salvation. Don't blame God for the slaughter in history. The blame lies solely with the father of lies and deception, satan. God and satan oppose one another. The reason God did not destroy satan when he rebelled reflects on His eternal goodness. God could have destroyed the devil immediately when he rebelled against the Holy Father of creation, but he didn't. Do not call evil good and good evil which is what one assumes in the above fore-mentioned question. Unlike you, God is, by his nature, merciful. He wants to bring his creation to himself in worship because his creation CHOOSES freely to worship him. The very fact that evil still exists is a testimony to the charity and mercy of our eternal Father in heaven. God is long-suffering, and tolerant, and wishes that everything in his creation would repent choosing life over destruction. I would suggest that you get on your knees!

Ken Johnson

WTF Ken Johnson?  You aren't allowed on this site.  It clearly states this is for Atheists only.  I guess you don't have to obey rules since you are "forgiven."  GO AWAY AND STAY AWAY.  You are NEVER going to convert a single person on here.  Everyone on here is smarter than you are.  Consider yourself reported.  Now go play with your imaginary friend...

It always amuses me how, in the middle of asserting that evil exists so that we have the choice to love God or not, theists inevitably resort to the most authoritarian language in exhorting everybody to worship. Free will indeed; your language makes it quite clear that us poor sinners really have no choice at all. Get down on your knees... Go **** yourself!

I carry the last Gideon Bible that I found in a motel room, and replaced with a marked up copy.  I will mark up this copy and leave it in the next motel room.

I mark it up with stuff like this:

Biblical Errors  

Creation, Commandments, Birth, Crucifixion, Resurrection

Where the Bible Contradicts Itself!!

CREATION:  Genesis 3:7 – Adam and Eve had their eyes opened, and saw that they were naked, and sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons, but Genesis  3:21 says that the Lord God made coats of skins, and clothed them.

COMMANDMENTS:  Exodus 20: 2-17 is “the ten commandments” (a term, by the way, not used in the Bible).  Exodus 34:1 , God tells Moses “Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write up these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest,” and yet Exodus 34:14-26 has DIFFERENT NINE commandments.  God lied, or made a mistake, or forgot?

BIRTH:  Matthew 1:2-16 lists the 40 individuals in the lineage between Abraham and Jesus (why?  Since Joseph is not Jesus’ father?)  but Luke 3:23-34 lists the lineage of 56 ancestors of Joseph to Abraham, all different names.

RESURRECTION:  Matthew 28 says that Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to the sepulcher, and an angel descended and rolled back the stone, and he told them to go quickly and tell the disciples that he is risen, and as they went to tell them Jesus appeared to them.  Mark 16 says that Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Salome went to the sepulcher, that when they got there the stone was already rolled away, and they saw a young man sitting inside the sepulcher, who told them to go tell his disciples , but they didn’t say anything to anybody out of fear, but later he appeared to Mary Magdalene.  Then Luke 24 says that Mary Magdalene and Joanna and Mary the Mother of James and other women went to the sepulcher, and found the stone rolled away, and soon two men stood by them in shining garments, and they returned and told the eleven and to all the rest.  John 20 adds to the contradictions by saying that Mary Magdalene went to the sepulcher, sees the stone rolled away, runs away and ran into Simon Peter and the other disciple and told them that the body is gone, and they don’t know to where.  When Mary went back, she saw two men in white in the sepulcher, and then turned around and saw Jesus standing there (although she didn’t recognize him, but then went and told the disciples that she had seen and spoken to the Lord.

Things That Just Don’t Make Sense

CREATION:  Genesis 1:4 – “God divided the light from the darkness.”  Darkness is, by definition, the absence of light.  Having to divide the light from the darkness makes no sense.

CREATION:  Genesis 1:5 – “And the evening and the morning were the first day” and Genesis 1:8 – “And the evening and the morning were the second day” and Genesis 1:13 – “And the evening and the morning were the third day.”  The evening and the mornings made the day, even though the sun and the moon, which makes the mornings and the evenings, were not created until the fourth day (Genesis 1:16).

CREATION:  Genesis 4:14 – Cain is being driven from the Garden, but says to God:  “Every one that findeth me shall slay me.”  Who else is there?

CRUCIFIXTION & RESURRECTION:  Matthew 27:52 and 53 says that when Jesus died, that dead saints rose up and walked around the city, and appeared unto many.” (after his resurrection, even though he had just died).  It would seem, if dead people arose and walked around the city, appearing to many, that this would have made all the headlines in recorded history.  No other records of this incredible event exists!!!!

There are lots more, but all for now.                                                                                  Gus Heist

Hi Gus:

God bless you for your questions.  I will answer them in order.  With regard to the dividing of the light from the darkness,  did you know that light has physical properties of both a particle and an electromagnetic wave.  That is the fascinating aspect of light that separates it from other energies in creation.  Light not only divides itself from darkness but it also divides itself from other forms of electromagnetism.  Very interesting, don't you think?

With regard to the dividing of the evening and the morning, you are taking day to mean a literal day.  A day is as a thousand years and a thousand years to the Lord is as a day.  II Peter 3:8 says, "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day". So we can't take the word "day" as we mean the word day.  All we know is that it is probably a lot longer than our limited perspective as "Houses of Clay" allows.

Now, on to creation. Cain was expelled from the garden and he was a vagabond and a recluse.  The Bible says that God placed a mark on him so that no one would slay him. I believe that the Lord did this as a punishment for Cain.  People need other people, and by marking Cain, I am sure that he suffered from severe isolation.  Before the flood, people lived up to a thousand years old.  It was only after the flood that we are limited to the three score and ten that we live in the modern day terms.  Adam and Eve were procreating continuously so in the course of a thousand years, they could have had about a thousand offspring.  So, there were obviously others through the line of Seth. Remember, their offspring would also be procreating with thousand year life spans so there would be plenty of people around.  Have some faith.  The Bible is 100% reliable.

Now, with regard to the resurrection in Matthew, you have to realize that in the time of Christ, very few people were educated.  Only, a select few of the religious crowd studied and were able to read and write.  The average "joe" was busy reaping and sowing. Therefore, it is plausible that this happened and it was only recorded in the book of Matthew.  Since the Bible says it happened, I am sure that it did.  Have some faith!

Ken Johnson

did you know that light has physical properties of both a particle and an electromagnetic wave.  That is the fascinating aspect of light that separates it from other energies in creation.  Light not only divides itself from darkness but it also divides itself from other forms of electromagnetism.

Again you reveal ignorance of modern science. Wave/particle duality is not unique to light or even to other electromagnetic radiation, but since the 1920's has been posited as a property of all matter in motion. This has been verified for elementary particles, but also more recently for molecules of relatively large size. Since the wavelength and momentum are inversely proportional, experiments become more difficult as the size of the object increases, but the principle is foundational in quantum mechanics.

Fuck off Ken. Theists do not belong on this website.

All of this is well written. Keep in mind that in appearances of Jesus after the resurrection many people "do not reconize him" or that "he appeared to them in another form." What type of supernatural trickery is this? Who could take it seriously?

Yet, the theist wants to take it literally and says Jesus might appear to you secretly "as the tramp on the street." Believers think we have "angels unaware" watching us and that heavenly creatures guide us, etc. Apologetic preachers reinforce this idea and make it all worse and nobody questions the logic or the science of the idea. It appears early on that the resurrected Jesus was but a wil of the wisp. Much later that lying Paul said that "Jesus appeared to 500 people at once and most of them are alive today." Nobody can back up this statement then or now, and Jesus appears to no one today.

But if you believe, you might see him 70 foot tall in Oklahoma! Oh, sorry. That was just a vision.

If your aim is to irritate Christians and thereby strengthen their beliefs, go right ahead. Christians are fond of being persecuted for the sake of their faith.They take it as a badge of honor.

On the other hand if what you want to do is to convince people to change sides, you ought to start a program to leave atheist or other books alongside the Gideon Bible. You might leave The Origin of Species in hotel rooms when you travel. You will never know the effect, but it might help the cause.

I would like to know what "cause" you are referring.  The origin of species is a bogus theoretical pile of excrement.  It is this "theory" that always defers to some not-yet-discovered common ancestor in the tree of life to justify itself.  Did you know that the first Neanderthal skeleton discovered in France was "proof" as the missing evolutionary link in its day.  It was "hard evidence" confirming the "Origin of Specious Origin".  Also, you should know that some of the worst blood letting in history through Nazi Germany sprouted from seeds planted in the Eugenics movement in America.  Social Darwinism is a lie from hell that justified the barbarism of the twentieth century.  Darwin's lie is an age old argument to try and discredit God.  It's author is none other than the prince of lies himself. God bless you and make his face to shine on you.  May He grant you peace.

Ken Johnson

The origin of species is a bogus theoretical pile of excrement.

That shows you have not read it and do not understand it. The Origin of Species is one of the most carefully argued books ever written. It is a long and beautifully detailed exercise in observational science. At the time Darwin wrote there was no science of genetics so that Darwin could not know or even guess at the biochemical mechanisms behind his observations, but when Mendel's work was rediscovered and genetics became a science, it reinforced Darwin's work in the most forceful way imaginable. Much progress has ensued and today evolution rests on a solid foundation that has been further elucidated by modern molecular biochemistry.

Eugenics and social Darwinism are not sciences anymore than phrenology and you cannot blame Darwin for misuses people have made of his theories. Remember that Adolf Hitler was a Christian and invoked God at every turn in his evil progress, but you would not want to blame Christianity or God for the atrocities of Nazi Germany.

You have taken to heart a lot of misinformation and old, discredited arguments against evolution. You need to get up to date on what evolution is and where it stands in the panoply of modern science. At the very least it might improve the credibility of your posts.

Thanks for speaking forcefully against that creationist misinformation. It would do Mr. Johnson some good to learn actual science. Un / fortunately (and unsurprisingly) he is no longer a member of Atheist Nexus.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service